Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Microsofts new Antispyware Beta 1, just how good is it?

by CJM1951 / February 25, 2005 3:24 AM PST

My computor was recently bitten by an unknown virus even though I had Norton's antivirus and firewall. So taking drastic measures I formated my Hard drive and reloaded all my software, connected to the internet and reloaded all the latest virus definitions plus Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D and the New Micrsoft Antispyware.
Now bearing in mind the only time stent on the net was re-registering all my software and downloading the latest updates, I should have a klean machine.
I then put the three antispyware packages to the test.
Here's the score. AdAware found 44, Spybot found 10 and Microsofts found a big fat zero. Fills you with confidence dose'nt it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsofts new Antispyware Beta 1, just how good is it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsofts new Antispyware Beta 1, just how good is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Surprised !!! To some extent YES
by ankitmathur / February 25, 2005 3:46 AM PST

I'm indeed surprised that even after formatting you got so many entries in spyware programs.

What's coming to my mind as an answer goes something like this:

Windows makes about 6 copies of ur registry internally....just in case one needs to revert back to last good registry backup.

Coming to ur question....I guess u have atleast 2 partitions on ur hard-disk...in which case while u formatted ur "C-Drive".....the main registry didn't got erased like it should have done on formatting a drive....that's bcoz it has info about the second partition also & windows couldn't delete the main registry.

So when u reinstalled ...... the 2nd copy of the registry backup comes back into picture & since it already has known spywares .... u got the entries found by ur spyware programs.

Further, how good is anti-spyware ??? Well I found it pretty useful though in conjunction with atleast one other spyware program alongwith ofcourse updated anti-virus software.

My best pick among all available spyware detectors is SPYBOT+SPYWARE BLASTER & MS ANTISPYWARE.

What's good with antispyware is its easy to understand msgs which as always for most MS products makes it pretty user-friendly. Besides, new definitions keep coming in pretty often....something I really miss in spybot which gets some updates once in a blue moon. Also, it takes less resources from system while working quitely in background.

Giving one very important word "BETA" in its name perhaps this much of leeway can be given to MS Antispyware.

I just hope this BETA tag goes away real soon & a complete product comes up pretty soon ....hopefully FREE too.

Collapse -
If you were to take a look at...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2005 4:17 AM PST

those "founds' indicated by your statement:

"AdAware found 44, Spybot found 10 and Microsofts found a big fat zero. "

you might have a better picture and an answer.

Ad Aware tends to report HEAVILY on "tracker" references while the Microsoft product (formerly published by GIANT) doesn't as many of those "tracker" entries are for "most recently used" or "most recently visited" or "most recently opened", etc. lists incorporated for convenience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.