Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Microsoft Works Suite 2006

by sk8brder40 / January 24, 2008 4:00 AM PST

When I got my laptop, I made sure that Works 2006 Suite came with it, since it has word 2002 included. I've had it installed, and I was using Word for a while, and then it said something about it being used enough times. So, for some reason, Works was opening the Word 2007 trial INSTEAD of the Word 2002. It also appears that Word 2002 never installed off of the disc, because I cannot find it anywhere on my laptop.

I have uninstalled this before and reinstalled it. I have tried repairing it. Nothing.

Now, if I try to again, when I click the allow button to run the disc, nothing even happens (yes, I have tried resetting my computer.)

I spent an extra significant amount of money to get Word onto this laptop, so can somebody please help?

(I have Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv2500t if that helps at all.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Works Suite 2006
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Works Suite 2006
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: works 2006
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2008 5:22 AM PST

I assume you still have warranty on this machine. So better contact HP or the shop where you bought it. If you paid for the product it should work and keep working. Messages about being used enough times don't fit that picture. And an installed trial of Office 2007 doesn't fit either.

Kees

Collapse -
Well..
by sk8brder40 / January 24, 2008 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: works 2006

Could the problem just be the trial interrupting works? If i uninstalled the trial, would I be able to install word then?

Collapse -
That would be a good start.
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2008 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Well..

It only works for a finite time anyway and it doesn't seem you want it.

But if you can't find Office 10 in Program Files, I doubt if it will spontaneously return. Try a search for winword.exe in Windows Explorer to find it. It should be there if it worked and you didn't uninstall it, shouldn't it?

Kees

Collapse -
Yeah,
by sk8brder40 / January 24, 2008 8:26 AM PST

I'll uninstall the trial because it appears that Windows is set up to only have ONE winword.exe, and the trial must have overpowered my disc saying 'nope, this already exists, skip it."

The only reason i DONT wanna do this is because it has power point and excel, and even tho theyre trials, I never know when i need them for homework >_> oh well haha.

Collapse -
Worked!
by sk8brder40 / January 24, 2008 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah,

Awesome, I now have permanant Word.

I'll miss the cool looks to Word '07, but c'mon, it's just for writing anyways.

Collapse -
You can try...
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2008 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah,

www.openoffice.org for free spreadsheet and presentation software that keep working, in case you need it.

Kees

Collapse -
=D
by sk8brder40 / January 26, 2008 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: You can try...

Thanks, I actually used to have OpenOffice on my previous laptop, but I think I'm all set with what I have now. Works comes with a spreadsheet software and a slideshow viewer, anyways.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.