Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Microsoft Works

by gwingee / February 10, 2007 9:10 AM PST

I went to do a grocery list and it says the file is corrupted or deleted..to reinstall...should I uninstall the works set up and the works task launcher? Do I also have to uninstall word..I think it was part of it..but it has different parts to add or remove...not sure if I have to remove everything and start from scratch. the grocery list and the greeting cards are not working...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Works
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Works
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Tried Checking the 'Help' Section For Reinstall?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Microsoft Works

First, are these NEW grocery lists and greeting cards? Or are they cards that you have previously created? If they are cards you previously created, it may be the file itself that's corrupted.. If you're trying to create new ones, then the program may be the culprit.

If you're trying to create NEW cards and lists, (You didn't mention which version of Works Suite you have) I believe you can do the reinstall from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section. (It would also help to know which operating system the computer is using.) For example, to reinstall Works 7.0 on this Windows XP computer, the "Help" section says this:

For Windows XP

1 On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2 Click Add or Remove Programs.

3 In the list, click Microsoft Works 7.0.

4 Click Change.

5 In the Microsoft Works 7.0 Setup box, click Next.

6 Select Change installation, and then click Next.

7 Select Complete installation (recommended), and then click Next.

8 Follow the instructions to complete the reinstallation.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I have Windows XP SP2
by gwingee / February 10, 2007 11:15 AM PST

And I have Works Suite 2005..it is microsoft works 8 and microsoft word 2oo2...

Collapse -
which do I change
by gwingee / February 10, 2007 11:19 AM PST

there is Microsoft works, Microsoft works 2005 set up, Microsoft word 2002, and Microsoft work suite add in for Microsoft word

Collapse -
I called HP
by gwingee / February 11, 2007 12:34 AM PST

re this..and did end up doing the uninstall and reinstall..BUT they are trying to tell me it is because of a "possible" conflict with McaFee and that Norton is better for my computer...I have HP and they use Norton and Dell uses McaFee and I have comcast broadband which recommends McaFee and it is free with comcast...geez
the only problem I had was using the greeting cards and grocery lists on my Microsoft works..which now is working again.

Collapse -
Does Camcast Cable provide Free Virus Protection?
by PudgyOne / February 11, 2007 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: I called HP

I know some ISP's say they offer protection. I know that Yahoo used to use Norton as their Virus protection but...

This was for their email only.

Do you actually have McAfee installed on you computer and is it up to date?

I use Verizon DSL and they offer a few items. They are trial versions and then they want you to pay for these items. I have install all free items.

Free Virus Protection

Avast ? Register, it's FREE.

AVG FREE

Firewall

Zone Alarm

Spyware Removal Tools

C W Shredder

Spybot Search & Destroy

Ad-Aware SE

AVG Anti-Spyware

Windows Defender

Spyware Blaster

FREE Programs

Java

Open Office

Adobe Flash Player

Adobe Shockwave Player

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Thunderbird

Rick

Collapse -
yes comcast offers free virus protection with Mcafee..full
by gwingee / February 11, 2007 6:00 AM PST

virus protection..no spyware or email though

Collapse -
Yes, I have found that out
by PudgyOne / February 11, 2007 6:33 AM PST
Collapse -
McAfee Shouldn't Cause A Conflict With HP Software Or Works
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 6:58 AM PST

I've got McAfee antivirus programs installed on all of our computers (thousands) and many of them have Microsoft Word and Works.. No problems here.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks Grif
by gwingee / February 11, 2007 8:29 AM PST

I just had to uninstall and reinstall and now it works perfectly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.