General discussion

Microsoft Word Limitation or Mine?

Microsoft Word only will allow the user to either post footnotes at the end of each page or endnotes at the end of each document. But what about if I am writing a book and would like to post endnotes at the end of each individual chapter instead of posting them all at the end of the book? Seemingly, Microsoft Word won't allow that. It will not allow me to enter a Page Break at the end of the first set of endnotes in order to add other chapters to the document. Cut and paste won't do, because it loses the automatic numbering sequence.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Microsoft Word Limitation or Mine?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Microsoft Word Limitation or Mine?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Maybe you should try a typesetting program.

I've seen such requests and those that need such typesetting control may be better off with typesetting or publishing software if Word can't do what you ask. Let's also check the CMOS for what an footnote is.

http://www.marquette.edu/wac/citations/FootnotesandEndnotesChicagoManual.shtml writes:
1. Footnotes are placed at the bottom of each page.
2. Endnotes are placed at the end of the paper.

Which flies in the face of what you are asking for. You are not asking for footnote or endnote. So Word is operating properly.

Bob

- Collapse -
Granted...

I guess that if we want to be technical about it, you're right. In which case I would call them "middle-end notes." This is a very appropriate style of inserting "notes" in books so as to facilitate the reader with finding them within the chapter, instead of going all the way to the end of the book.

Thanks, anyway, I'll find out if the other recommendations do help.

- Collapse -
Foot notes and end notes.

Use one doc per chapter. For page numbers, you can set from which page to start.

- Collapse -
You can use one Doc per chapter...

as was already indicated OR you can open the Word Help file and FIND the following phrase:
Restart note numbers from 1 on each page or in each section

CNET Forums