Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Microsoft word is deleting my letters

by mckinleyfamily / September 17, 2005 1:12 PM PDT

Every time I use microsoft word, If i need to go back and make changes, it starts deleting a letter for each one I add. ie, when I add a letter, it will remove the letter in front of it. I have tried to stop this but nothing I do is working. Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft word is deleting my letters
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft word is deleting my letters
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solution- press the ''Insert'' key.
by Papa Echo / September 17, 2005 1:27 PM PDT

It toggles the way corrections are made.

Collapse -
anything else??
by mckinleyfamily / September 17, 2005 1:42 PM PDT

I thought there was some way you could set up the settings to avoid this happening as well.

Collapse -
If pressing the insert key didn't work...
by Edward ODaniel / September 17, 2005 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: anything else??

then it probably is an option checked for Word.

Open Word then click on the Tools menu and select Options. Now in the Options dialog select the Edit tab. UNCHECK the Overtype Mode checkbox. Click OK and you should be in insert mode.

Collapse -
Yes----
by Papa Echo / September 18, 2005 2:14 PM PDT

that's the ''permanent'' solution. It can also be done at the information bar (at the bottom, above the task bar) with Word opened -double click at OVR which will be greyed out if the overtype option is not selected. However, if the ''Insert'' key is used,it affects not only Word, but also at some areas where typing is required, e.g. right here when typng in the forum message box. The problem may be that the ''Insert'' key has been accidentally pressed and needs to be re-pressed to correct the problem.

Collapse -
Enabling insert with MS Works
by grandpaw7 / November 28, 2005 8:41 PM PST

My computer started deleting instead of inserting. I want change back to insert by pressing the insert key. But my insert key is also the Print Screen key and I have PrintKey Pro which means that when I press that key I get the PrintKey Pro screen and there is no change from delete to insert. I've tried Ctrl +insert, Slt+insert, shift+insert but nothing works. I have MS Works. Anybody know how I can change from delete to insert? Thank, grandpaw

Collapse -
More
by grandpaw7 / November 28, 2005 8:50 PM PST

I terminated PrintKey Pro and was able then to change from delete to insert. But when I reenabled PrintKey Pro I was once again in delete mode. So I once again terminated PrintKey Pro. But this time the insert key didnt't work; I couldn't change from delete to insert.

Collapse -
Solved
by grandpaw7 / November 28, 2005 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: More

Well, I solved the problem when I rebooted and found that insert is now working. Still, if anyone has any thoughts about why I couldn't change without rebooting,I'd appreciate hearing them. grandpaw

Collapse -
What keyboard ?
by Papa Echo / November 28, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Solved

"Insert key also Print screen key" ? Are you referring to a Labtop or Notebook ? Then the key's function is controlled by, a e.g. Fn key ?

Re-rebooting: Rebooting often "resets" the computer, a sort of "go back to square one" when there has been a slight mess up.

Collapse -
I have a Dell laptop
by grandpaw7 / November 29, 2005 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: What keyboard ?

Papa Echo, the key I am talking about shows three functions. On top is shows "prtSrn" and "SysRq" on top and "insert" on the front side. I'm not sure what you mean by "Then the key's function is controlled by, a e.g. Fn key ?". But when my PringKey Proprogram is running, the PrnScrn seems to be the only function for the key. (PrinkeyPro is one of those programs that enables me to print the screen and save the result. )

Collapse -
Some notes....
by Papa Echo / November 29, 2005 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: I have a Dell laptop

On a normal keyboard, it is usual for the "PrtSrn" and "sysRq" (system Request) to be together on one key. On the normal keybord, "Insert" is found as a stand alone key. Some laptop also has the Insert or "Ins" alone, but if it is incorporated with other functions in the same key, then you have to press a "function select" key in conjunction with the key. Usually, the "Insert" in the front of the key is colored, e.g. in blue. There should be another key elsewhere in the keyboard named, e.g. "Fn" also colored blue, which you have to press together with the "Insert" key so as the select "Insert" instead of "PrtSrn/SysRq". I do not have PrintKey Pro, but it seems that it takes over the "PrtSrn/SysR" function.

I do not have a Dell laptop, so I am not able to describe fully. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Solves the problem. Papa Echo
by grandpaw7 / November 29, 2005 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Some notes....

What I have to the right of the F13 key is a key labeled F Lock with an F below it which is encased in a black square. When I use the Insert key while holding down that F key, the insert key works as it is supposed to. (I do have a Mcrosoft Natural MultiMedia keyboard wtih the so-called ergonomic shape.) Thanks very much for your help. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!