This could be caused by a corrupted document, a corrupted normal.dot, a corrupted installation of Word, an bad add-on or a corrupted XP profile (least likely).
In corresponding sequence, the remedies are:
1. Try it on another document.
2. Find and delete the default profile normal.dot (using My Computer or Windows Explorer)
3. Do a repair install (or even an uninstall/reinstall) of MS-Word
4. Try if it happens also when running Word in safe mode (winword /a), see http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/safemode.htm
5. Try it in another XP profile
Up to you to try all of those. I leave it to you to find the sequence you like best.
I am getting this message when I try to change margins:
"Increasing right margin cause last column to become too narrow in some sections having unevenly spaced columns". And then I am not able to change the margin.
The other problem is I can only type one page and it will not add any other pages as I time or even add returns. Help!