Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

microsoft word file recovery problem

by Patrick77 / November 21, 2003 6:53 AM PST

I used a disk recovery tool to recover some previously formatted files, however I am having problems with the .doc files [MS Word]. I use MS OFFICE 2003 and below is the message on the screen when I tried to open the recovered word documents:

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try this suggestions - blah blah blah...."

I tried the suggestions but still couldn't open the document. I tried opening with Notepad but all i got was some funny machine language. Any help please! the files are so important.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft word file recovery problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft word file recovery problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No free tools known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2003 7:08 AM PST
http://www.cimaware.com/wordfix.html for example is worth a try since the demo can let you see the possible results.

I must ask though, because I'm the curious type, why not backup such things on diskette or CDR? Even "expensive" USB CDRW drives are found for 50USD and a CDR is less than 1 dollar. Recovery costs much more so I always want to know what is keeping people from having what they can't lose on some backup.

Bob
Collapse -
Take 2. Forgot the old Word cure-all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2003 7:59 AM PST

Find and delete the NORMAL.DOT files on the hard disk (backup if you want, I delete.) Start Word and a new one is created. Fixes a problem or two, but worth a shot.

Bob

Collapse -
Mocrosoft Word File Recovery Tool
by recoveryguru / September 8, 2006 6:04 PM PDT

Yes, after a successfully recovery of data, many files becomes inaccessible due to corruption in files at the time of recovery.

As your Word(DOC) files got corrupted, showing error messages ''Word experienced an error trying to open the file'', you have the only solutuon ie you need a File Repair Software.

To repair your Word file use Kernel Recovery for Word

I found this software almost excellent. This software have full support for MS OFFICE 2003.

The software is available for demo download which allows you to preview the recoverable contents and you can check whether the file is recovered correctly or not by double clicking on it.

Collapse -
EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard
by rose0428 / September 12, 2006 7:43 PM PDT

Hello,
I suggest you use EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version: http://www.easeus.com/download.htm

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your corrupted drive. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery Wizard, you can select them and recover them.
NOTICE: never install in on the harddisk you want to recover.

Collapse -
Microsoft Word Recovery Software
by ReviveIT / January 8, 2007 3:33 PM PST

I would suggest you to use Stellar Word Recovery Software. It recovers and repair Mirosoft word documents. Supports all modern file versions, including Word 97, 2000, 2002, XP and 2003.
Although its not free but can download the demo version to see the file.
If satisfied then get the full version to save the data.
Download Demo from: http://www.stellarinfo.com/word-recovery.htm

Collapse -
Either Use Data Recovery Software OR File Reparing Tool
by parkoskar / January 14, 2007 8:41 PM PST

You have two options :-

First One is -

Try any other data Recovery Software
eg: Stellar data recovery software - http:///www.stellarinfo.com

Second Option is to try for Word Recovery Tools
eg: Stellar Word Recovery Software - http://www.stellarinfo.com/word-recovery.htm

Collapse -
Since the original post
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 1:59 AM PST

was over 3 years ago, I suspect either the poster solved the problem, or lost interest.

Mark

Collapse -
Data recovery thread
by parkoskar / January 21, 2007 3:45 PM PST

Yah ! you are right..

But it can help those who read this thread...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.