General discussion

Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed

Whenever I type the backslash key in Word, I get a W through it. I am running Win2KPro with Office2K. Please help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed

Either you have some other FONT selected or are in some STRIKEOUT formatting.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed

Or the keyboard is broken, or the keyboard type/lay-out selected in Config Panel does not match physical type of keyboard. The alfabet and digits are rather standard (however AZERTY isn't QWERTY), but all other charactes move around.

Simple tests:
- try it in MS-DOS command windw
- try it in Notepad and Wordpad
- try it with a different font in Word
- check keyboard type in Config Panel
- try an other keyboard
- delete normal.dot and make a new document with new default normal.dot (MS Word only, of course)

Kees

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Microsoft Word displaying a W with a horizontal line through it when backslash key pressed

Nope...it was neither of those things...I DID find eventually what it was. It was allowing for several different languages. One of the options you can set within Word that was buried! My backslash key worked in every other application so I knew the keyboard wasn't broken. Thanks for your suggestions!

- Collapse -
Glad to read you solved it.

Obviously, I wouldn't have written what I wrote if you had clearly stated in your first post that you had ascertained already that the problem only occurred in Word. There are so many people nowadays who never type a \ in a MS-DOS command, that I couldn't guess so.

I know somebody who seems to have about the same problem as you do, with the added problem he doesn't know where to look for which buried setting. Can you help?

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info