I have tried the following:
- Several "text" recovery programs.
- I have tried using word to repair and open the documents
- I have tried opening the documents in several other text browsers - ie. Notepad, wordpad etc
- I have tried using winzip, winrar and 7zip to retreive text
- I have tried changing options in word to attempt to open the document as a draft.
- I have tried to use word to "insert text" from the document
Added resources which might be helpful...
Windows 7 Home with MS Office 2007 installed. The issue is specific to WORD. If we open the WORD application and then navigate to a file, the file opens OK. If on the other hand, we navigate to a file, we get an error message...."There was a problem sending the command to the program." I've already researched the web for answers and tried 3 different solutions offered to no avail. We did a repair via the Office CDs and that did not fix the problem.
Here is another observation: If we navigate to an EXCEL file, EXCEL opens the file "DIRECTLY" with no problems. The EXCEL files are in the same folder as the WORD files. If we attempt to open a WORD file, we will get a USER ACCOUNT CONTROL window first and then the error message. The USER ACCOUNT CONTROL window does not appear when opening an EXCEL file.
Looking at the Control Panel and Default programs, the DOCX and DOC extensions are all properly set to be opened by Microsoft Office 2007 Word.
Any ideas on how to solve this one will be appreciated. We have thought about reloading WORD but I frankly to not think this is an application problem. I believe this to be a file linkage to the program problem.