Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Microsoft Windows Update

by A.Protree / February 13, 2008 10:18 PM PST

I don't how long this has been the situation on my system,i just noticed that my Laptop "was downloading" security updates but my desktop "was not". On going to, "Microsoft Windows Update",i got the message, "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site". This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems,please visit
I don't have anything to do with Macintosh on my system, i personally,purchased and installed Windows XP (Genuine Copy) Validated by Microsoft Advantage Tool,so can anyone tell me why i cannot install Security Updates and any other Updates.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Windows Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Windows Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2008 10:26 PM PST

When another browser is installed, sometimes when a security package interferes with it, etc. Your post is a little light on details but with each patch there is a KBnnnnnn that you can research and install manually if it fails and you really want that patch.

Collapse -
by A.Protree / February 14, 2008 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Sometimes..

So how do i go about getting this patch thingy, being a newbie i don't know a lot, loads of info required !!!!!! Baby steps please.

Collapse -
That's in our newbie forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: PATCH

Here I'll ask you to tell me which patch failed and then we'll discuss that. If you can't tell which, then how do you know your machine needed it?

Collapse -
Windows Updates
by A.Protree / February 14, 2008 8:30 PM PST

I don't know what my system requires.
I used the expression "Patch Thingy" because you referred to a patch in your first reply.

I have IE7 installed as my one and only browser, i do not have anything to do with Macintosh installed on my system,and yet when i go to the update it tells me that it is designed to work with Windows OS only. Well mine is Windows so why does it want to send me for Mac Downloads,and how do i get the Windows Update page back on my PC?

If i reinstalled the Windows XP Home Edition Disc,would that also install the Update Page?

I can only apologise if i haven't given you enough info,but that is all i have and about the only way i can explain the problem.

Hope this will help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
That was enough clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 9:41 PM PST
Collapse -
by A.Protree / February 16, 2008 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: That was enough clues.

Thanks for your reply, haven't tried the resolution yet, but will get back to you if i have any problems.

Have also been in touch with Microsoft Help & Support, lets see what they come up with! Waiting for answer to my email, will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by A.Protree / February 17, 2008 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Clues

Got a quick solution from Knowledge Base through "WinHelpOnLine",without having to get too technical.

Tools -> Internet Options > Advanced Tab click Reset, if you agree, Reset > Restart and Windows Update works again.!!!!!!

Worked for me, well happy to have the problem solved and keep my system updated.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?