Computer Help forum

General discussion

microsoft visual ctt Runtime Libarary Popup!

by hawgdawg8 / December 9, 2004 12:05 PM PST

This popup states microsoft visual ctt Runtime libary. Runtime Error abnormal program termination. Is this a virus? If it is how do I get rid of it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft visual ctt Runtime Libarary Popup!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft visual ctt Runtime Libarary Popup!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: microsoft visual ctt Runtime Libarary Popup!
by jenny43cat / December 9, 2004 7:32 PM PST

I had this EXACT same problem twice in the last couple of months. The first time I did not know what caused it and I took it to a tech who couldn't work it out either and he had to reformat the HDD to get rid of it.

I had only had my computer back for a couple of weeks and as I was gradually re-installing my previous drive content, I (foolishly) downloaded a 'free' screensaver (tranquil lakes, or something like that), and the error message returned - I was horrified, so all I could do was take it back to the tech and reformat again.

Now I'm EXTREMELY careful about what I download; that error message seemed to attach itself to, and corrupt my antivirus and pop-up blocker, and nothing was working properly. I got the shivers when I read about your problem, I hope I never get it again.

Good luck with your problem.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2004 7:59 PM PST

It's not visual ctt, it's visual c++ (plus plus). C++ is a programming language (derived from the programming language C) and Visual C++ is a Microsoft implementation of it. That's to get the picture right.

Run-time libraries never give an error message on their own initiative. They are being used by a program. So this message implies that a program (still unknown) gives some (unknown) error (while running some instructions from this library) and stops. As you probably don't want the program anyway that's a good thing.

All you've got to do is to find out what that unknown program is and either disable it, or remove it totally.
Is there anything in the window title bar or in the message that points to a program name? Do you do anything special when this message appears or does it come out of the blue?

Lacking any clues I would start with running all 5 tools mentioned by Grif Thomas in http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=24325&messageID=581353&tag=
They might need to run more than once to clean everything up.
This happens to be the 4th answer I give this morning (out of 5, i think) with exactly this same advice.

If that doesn't help a serious look at the Startup tab of MSCONFIG is needed. It's most probably a program checked there to run at startup. Post again, if needed, with a detailed list of everything checked there, and we'll tell you what's needed, what you might not need and what's outright dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by leannedao1 / December 10, 2004 12:41 AM PST

Hi, we got a similar error message just last night when we tried to open up Internet Explorer on a machine that runs Windows XP . It prevented us from getting on the internet. YahooMessenger still works. But since IE is our only browser on this machine, I don't know what to do.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do according the advices given in this thread.
by Kees Bakker / December 10, 2004 9:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Problem Fixed
by leannedao1 / December 11, 2004 12:29 AM PST

I disconnected my internet connection from the computer and ran Norton Antivirus. It found a couple of suspected files and deleted them. Now IE opens up without any C++ runtime errors. Thanks everyone.

L.

Collapse -
by Yew / December 9, 2004 8:02 PM PST

First it's Visual C++, and second, this is often a sign of spyware. Poorly written spyware at that. It's time to grab a few spyware removal programs and let them scan your system, and to stop using Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in favor of an alternative like Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird respectively.

Collapse -
I had this problem...
by Howmu / December 12, 2006 4:14 AM PST

and I tried for many weeks to solve it. I finally did a "Hijack this" scan on my computer and with the help of an IT guy on SWI forum for Malware, after several tries he had me delete some programs and Lo and Behold, the error message disappeared. This was over a year ago and it's never returned.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.