General discussion

Microsoft to Release New Internet Browser

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. will release a new version of Internet Explorer, the world's most popular Internet browsing software, with new, built-in security features, Chairman Bill Gates said on Tuesday.

In a speech at a major security conference here, Gates said Internet Explorer 7.0, with new anti-spyware features, will be released for preliminary testing this summer

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050215/2005-02-15T173402Z_01_N155834_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-TECH-MICROSOFT-BROWSER-DC.html

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Microsoft to Release New Internet Browser
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Microsoft to Release New Internet Browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That 'summer' timeframe is about the

same time that the beta version of the antispyware we've been testing now is supposed to either go as a freebie to download or begin having to pay for. It sounds like they made the decision to revamp IE and include it for free. Cool.......

TONI

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yup i think your right
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Imagine, hearing Bill Gates & Freebie in same sentence
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) bill gates gives alot away free
- Collapse -
Remember when IE was being given away

while Netscape was still charging for theirs?

And Windows....although it costs about $100 to upgrade to the next one years later, is one of the few software companies that actually give you on-going updates to their programs for free non-stop until the newest true version comes out. And even then they continue to support for long periods of time the older versions. MS is definitely a constant.

You can expect that they will have their products attacked, hacked, and assaulted as often as possible, but it's only because it's the most popular out there and that's the whole point of hackers and virus writers. Get the most coverage you can.....if Linux was as huge and popular as Windows, Linux would have been the one being targeted instead.

BTW......whatever happened to LINDOWS????????? lol

TONI

- Collapse -
Lindows is now called Linspire and is

marketed as another Linux distro (which it is)!

- Collapse -
RE: "because it's the most popular"

Wish more folks realized that. In fact lately as the competition has been gaining (though slightly) in popularity the competition has been starting to get some share of the trouble.

Eventually extremes tend to reverse themselves. (Was that some kind of oxymoron?)

LINDOWS? Heard of it rarely. Seen it never. A legal rip-off of trade mark (Windows) likeness, by Walmart I think, that never made it. Heard that it wasn't much better than a spiral note book.

- Collapse -
Beta, I would think.

Ah, but Toni, notice he said IE 7.0 for preliminary testing this summer, maybe final release later, sorta like 'Longhorn' that some people thought was to be released this summer.

The MS 'Longhorn' Operating System is to arrive via a BETA version (mainly for developers to play with - others take your chances) by June. The final version is slated for the 2nd half of next year.

- Collapse -
Who needs it?

Firefox rules.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) firefox...firefox...firefox...FIREFOX!
- Collapse -
Everybody.

No, you won't need it to browse, FF will continue to work just fine. But like it or not, IE is embedded in the Windoze operating system, and is required for a variety of things behind the scenes, including delivery of all patches. If you consider that they've pretty much closed down further development of security updates for anything except XP SP2 (which installed a whole new IE6), I wouldn't be surprised if they make installation of a new IE7 the prerequisite for any further operating system updates...

JMO, YMMV Happy
dw

- Collapse -
Yep,

agree, and although I started using Firefox a few months ago, 90 % of the world uses Microsoft Windows and Internet Explores...and that is....how many 100's of millions of people who just don't know about another browser, or even care (like some of my relatives). Wink

- Collapse -
well in time im betting

the virus writers and trojan writers will go after ff allsoSad

- Collapse -
Yep, that's been predicted already.

I think the hope is that FF is simpler, and easier to make secure. Maybe.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i hope so
- Collapse -
From CNet Staff writers ...& a SP3 (WinXP) in future

"..Microsoft has not determined how or when the final version of IE 7 will ship, but that it is planned ahead of Longhorn.

Nash said it has not been decided whether IE 7 will come with a different Windows update, such as a security revamp.

"We'll be updating Windows on a regular basis," he said. "How the browser gets packaged--whether it's with a service pack--has not been nailed down. There is going to be a Service Pack 3 (of Windows XP). That's not a surprise. How that relates to (IE 7's release), we haven't figured out yet."..

http://news.com.com/Reversal+Next+IE+divorced+from+new+Windows/2100-1032_3-5577263.html?tag=nefd.top

- Collapse -
Silicon asperatus

Hey, John, agree or not...

I think you spend too much time "inside of MS and Symantec".

Please breathe the air of something OTHER than

SILCON.

For your own sake.

- Collapse -
LOL.....already lost

half of my left lung in an operation two years ago. Could have been Silcon or them cigs I was smoking for over 55 years. Happy

JR

- Collapse -
Sounds like FUD-ware

They're dangling a poorly defined product on a more poorly defined release schedule in hope of deterring people from switching to a competitor's product.

Dan

- Collapse -
I don't see it that way

I see announcements made by MS about XP and IE are to let people be aware of what there are support issues for XP and IE being actively worked on while Longhorn pushes forward. They continued to update W95 for a long time and continue to do so for W98/ME/2K even now knowing that they have a responsibility to do so.

People have complained for quite awhile about security issues for Windows and IE, and now that they are actively attempting to do something about that, people are still going to find a reason to complain about something else.

MS doesn't have to worry about competition as much as you would like to think they do. Linux and other similar products that have given their operating systems a 'windows' look have never gotten anywhere near as popular no matter how hard they tried. Open source may be the biggest whine they come up with since even their own operating systems are vulnerable to virus/trojan/and hijacking/hacking.....although not on the same scale that Windows has just because they aren't as popular.

Just which product do you think people are going to switch to? Firefox or Linux by-products? It took Mozilla a very LONG time to get Firefox to even stir up interest, although Mozilla has been out there as a browser (along with Opera...lol) for quite a while, and Mozilla was still mainly only popular with the Linux crowd.

Keep drawing the line in the sand with your toe...and watch it keep moving closer and closer to your side as MS keeps plowing right through it. MS isn't going anywhere no matter how hard you may want it to disappear....they'll only get bigger because the new computer users out there that are in elementary school right now already know Windows better than most adults do, and will stick with what they know. They may experiment with other things like different browsers later on, but MS Windows will still be on their desktops.

TONI

- Collapse -
In the case of a true product announcement

there would have been real facts about the product. Not the vague insinuations of improvements that MS gave on this occasion. There's also that troubling question of the release date.

Dan

- Collapse -
Way too late for me...

Microsoft should have been more prompt in addressing security issues. There were complaints from the begining which were addresed only to be comprimised again.

My take is this - Microsoft released (knowingly) faulty software over and over again caused me to pay for each 'new' version when in my view the new version only amounted to fixing the flaws in the original product I already paid for, let me not forget the new frosting applied to the same old OS so as to make it look new and improved - it was just old and looks better. over the years I've paid MS thousands for the same ol' thing I'm done with that.

I now use Mandrake linux v10 and will never pay for another buggy product from MS again.

I am not alone in this idealogy, the next decade will tell the tale though, I(we) believe MS will always be there but the competition is gaining market strength as MS languishes with attacks on thier bugs.

Open source IMO will not suffer this fate as the community of users will continuously adapt - and yes freely.

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

- Collapse -
But the problem is simply the majority
Open source IMO will not suffer this fate as the community of users will continuously adapt - and yes freely.

Are not going to ever invest the time to become proficient as an administrator of an OS, and that is basically what running Linux appears to demand. I could be wrong, but there is yet to be anything as simple for people to begin using as a Windows computer out of the box, with as little technical knowledge.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly stand corrected.

Now I admit because Windows is such a huge target for virus and spyware, people end up learning or depending on someone else (normally the 'geek' in the family it seems) to keep it running.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

CNET Forums

Forum Info