Windows 10 forum

General discussion

Microsoft Speeds up pace of 10

by James Denison / March 13, 2015 6:19 AM PDT
Acceleration of windows 10 release.

"We've heard your feedback asking for more frequent
builds--and as Gabe mentioned in his recent blog post, we've probably been too conservative about pushing builds to the Fast ring for Windows Insiders. So we're preparing to speed up the build releases for those who want to live life in the Fast lane. The good news is that Insiders who choose Fast will be getting fresher code, with all of the features and fixes, more often. The potential downside is that as we go faster, the builds will likely include more bugs with fewer workarounds. If this doesn't sound like something you want to deal with, now is your time to switch to Slow....

I have a build in hand that we produced on Friday. It was
validated by our test automation, and will go out through our internal rings and get installed and used by thousands of people at Microsoft. It is the freshest code with all newest features and fixes. If it passes all of our evaluation criteria it could be in your hands late this week or early next week.....The
new update will be delivered automatically, via Windows Update, on PCs running the Windows 10 preview and configured for the "Fast" ring.If the new build appears in update channels tomorrow (Friday, March 13), it will arrive exactly seven weeks after build 9926, which was released January 23 following a holiday break of more than two months."
(more at article)

Are these builds complete new ISO files? Reason I ask is because there were 3-4 GB of data downloaded according to watching the Network traffic when going from 9879 to the 9926 build. Seemed excessive amount of data download just to update a system.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Speeds up pace of 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Speeds up pace of 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've heard some people have gotten
by orlbuckeye / March 17, 2015 9:09 PM PDT

ahold of leaked build 10036 and say its more buggy then 9926.

Collapse -
I've not gotten that one yet
by James Denison / March 18, 2015 6:22 AM PDT

but I only play around in windows 10 one day a week for a couple hours, so maybe in a few days I'll see if it's in. I may put my update schedule back to "Slow" if they are all going to be in GB sizes like the 9926 was.

Collapse -
I think I got that one this morning
by Steven Haninger / March 18, 2015 8:23 PM PDT

I'd signed up for the fast updates (nothing to lose) and a strange thing happened this AM. I got a message that the updates had installed and a restart was needed. The build was in the 10k range but, after the restart, the system hung at about 3% and never moved. There was minimum disk activity and, after about 20 minutes, I decided to do a hard reset. I got a message that Windows was reverting to the previous version. I tried a manual update but it said I was already up to date. The site still shows 9926 as the latest download. Something's amiss.

Collapse -
3% for a very long time
by TsegT / March 19, 2015 10:30 AM PDT

I just updated a couple of hours ago. It was stuck on 3% for 21+ minutes! but I saw the hard drive blipping, so let it go. I was right about to shut it down and I saw... 5%. Now it is loaded and working fine.

Collapse -
I should have been more patient
by Steven Haninger / March 19, 2015 8:31 PM PDT

I saw the HD light activity too but only very short blips like one might see during idle time. The hard reset ended up fouling things up good. I lost the start menu to the type that's currently seen in the administrator account (right click but no apps). I did system restore but the OS was still semi-comatose. I ended up doing a repair with .iso as I'd gotten a message about missing files. That process was very long with lots of waiting and resets. Once the repair was completed, I was able to show the availability of the new build. It said that several resets would happen so I left the house for a couple of hours and let 'er rip. When I returned, it still had to go through a lot of configuration settings but it had lost the audio (missing realtek driver) and couldn't find one. A restart or two later, the audio suddenly started to work. My new problem was getting past the MS "One Drive" nag that refused to go away until I accepted it figuring I could get rid of it later. I've no intention of putting any of my documents in their cloud and hope that will become optional. In any event, the recovery process was extremely lengthy and I think I could have done a scratch installation much more quickly. It's good to find these things out now rather than later. It's definitely not ready for prime time and I do fear that it may become more like Apple products where one is renting a vending machine rather than buying a functional device.

Collapse -
Same here I almost reset.
by orlbuckeye / March 19, 2015 9:33 PM PDT

I have it installed in VM and it actually got stuck and wouldn't let me minimize. Then all of a sudden it freed the resources and the install % moved off of 3. This is build 10041 the one that i saw complaints about was a leaked build and it was 10036.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?