Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?

I am NOT selling Computers.
MY 2 Computers have the same window system and I have lent one machine to a friend to use.
How you got the idea that I SELL compters I dont know.
All have missed the QUESTION
HOW did the system come right AFTER word was installed??????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the reader who wonders what this is about.

In reply to: microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?

Collapse -
You still said

You still said that you were using the same copy of Windows on two different computers, which is prohibited by the Windows EULA, and enforced by XP's activation system. You have pirated a copy of Windows in this instance, and it's likely that CD key will be flagged by Microsoft's systems and disabled on every one using it.

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it's the only one there is. And even if the language barrier is preventing you from being able to adequately describe what you're doing, the fact still remains that Microsoft and Microsoft alone can fix this. You can post here until the end of days, it won't change anything. You have to call Microsoft's activation hotline, explain to the agent what the situation is, and then if indeed it is a false-positive on Microsoft's end, they can manually override it for you. None of us here can do that, so you may as well just stop wasting your time with us and go to the people who can actually help. And if Microsoft says no, then there's still nothing we can do to help you.

No matter how we look at this situation, the answer is you need to call Microsoft's activation hotline for NZ. We cannot help you.

Collapse -
Re: copy

In reply to: You still said

You can use the same CD or a copy of it on many PC's. But you need a different license code for each PC (unless it's a corporate license). The OP didn't make it really clear what he used and what he did.

But I agree, even it was clear to us, he has to make it clear to Microsoft, because they are the only ones who can do something about it.
But note he says "HOW did the system come right AFTER word was installed?" So I think the problem is solved to his satisfaction.

Kees

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: Re: copy

Well, if you read the previous discussion it seemed pretty apparent that the OP was unaware that XP added some teeth to the EULA's one copy per computer provision, thinking that s/he could buy a single copy and load it onto more than one computer, which is why I suggested it be locked, and I believe it was Mark, agreed. The one copy is probably a bit suspect too, but that's another topic. Even if it were a volume license copy, those don't allow you to just install a copy of Windows on all your friends' computers, and I highly doubt the OP spent probably tens of thousands of dollars NZ to buy that volume license. So, there's definitely something rotten in the state of denmark on this one no matter which way you look at it.

In any case however, all roads here lead to Microsoft. None of us can influence the activation system. So, if the OP is sure that s/he is in the right on this one, s/he can call Microsoft NZ's activation line, explain the situation to some agent, and they will rectify the issue in a couple of minutes. I suspect there's a reluctance to do that, however, because the OP is not so confident that they are on the legal up and up here. If I were to speculate, I would say that s/he figured they could craft this sob story to elicit sympathy from people. Ignorantly believing that most of us haven't heard it a dozen times before, and told far more convincingly. The whole little guy being steamrolled by the big bad multinational conglomerate sob story which works a whole lot better if you're an attractive woman that can cry on command. It tends to fall pretty flat in a written format. My guess is that the OP was hoping someone would point him/her to some illegal crack that disables activation, and of course opening the system up to a whole host of other issues.

The other possibility is that they were legitimately ignorant to the fact, no matter how hard it may be to believe about 10 years on since XP was introduced into the market, that the activation system introduced with XP, tends to add teeth to the EULA.

And the story is a bit inconsistent too... First the OP is building a computer system for an old lady, which is probably where the whole selling thing got started. Not much of a leap to assume that the OP is a small time system builder. Then in this thread it changes to "a friend". You'd think the fact that the original story was still present for all to see would be enough for someone to keep their story straight, but there's no shortage of stupid criminal stories for radio talk shows to use as fodder, thinking it should be any different here is probably equally folly.

There's just too many aspects of this story which don't add up, and frankly none of that really matters. If it happens I am completely wrong about everything in my little speculative narration, it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is the only one that can resolve the issue legally. So frankly, this discussion topic should share the fate of it's sibling before it, and any future progeny of the OP on this topic until such time that s/he can explain the situation in such a way that there's not even a question of illegality to the satisfaction of a moderator. Because right now, there's a definite euro stench emanating from this topic, and it's not all those people sick from the e.coli outbreak.

Collapse -
Re: copy by Kees_B Moderator

In reply to: Well

We rang some over seas number for microsoft and got someone who did not speak english that we could understand.
The shop we brought the Legal copy from rang microsoft and had the same problem.
we have rechecked the paper work that came with the CD and the shop checked the CDs they have for Win7 and there is nothing to say we can not use our copy of windows on more than one of our computers.
It is clear that there is some confusion to what is correct and what is not.
All that I have been able to contact that work with computers feel that one can use the same CD to install a windows programe on any and all they own computers.
It is clear that many of you have a different view.
Our lawyer is now trying to find out from Microsoft the correct and legal interptretation of what is legal or ilegal.
We have waited 4 days and microsoft are still to reply.

Collapse -
Thanks for clearing that up.

In reply to: Re: copy by Kees_B Moderator

"All that I have been able to contact that work with computers feel that
one can use the same CD to install a windows programe on any and all
they own computers."

Good luck in your legal endeavors. At least you were honest in what you are trying to do.

For now this should fail due to the license and activation system. Nothing busted but it should be interesting if you can change this system.
Bob

Collapse -
In Reply to: microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?

In reply to: You still said

Well if that is so, how is it all the computer 'fix it' places I know in NZ do as I have done. but they do it to many computers, I have done it only to my 2 computers.
There is nothing in the blub that comes with the CDs that say you cant reinstall in your own computers or that you must use different copies in each machine one owns.
To us, to pirate a copy of windows is, when someone copies from the legal CD onto another CD and sells the 'other CD(s)' to make money.

Collapse -
Yes there is

Yes, there is -- and as a quick aside, just because other people do something a particular way doesn't make it any less illegal. That is a false premise. -- When you go to install Windows, you will have to agree to a big long bit of text known as the End User License Agreement (EULA). In there will be a clause stating that you are licensing a COPY of Windows, and more specifically, you are buying the right to install ONE copy of Windows onto ONE computer. If you put the install disc in the drive, and then browse the directory tree, right in the root directory, you should be able to find a file called EULA.txt, or if you go to Microsoft's website, you should be able to find a copy of the EULA that comes with Windows sold in NZ.

Volume licenses are an exception, but those are only permitted to be used within an organization, such as the NZ Parliament. It DOES NOT entitle each MP the right to install Windows on every one of their home computers, only their office computer.

Companies like Dell, HP, Acer, etc, pay Microsoft something on the order of $100US for every system they sell for that copy of Windows loaded onto the system.

What your definition of piracy is doesn't matter, because you're in breach of contract with the EULA unless you bought a separate license from Microsoft for every system. You agreed to the terms of the license when you hit the F8 key during the installation process, so if you then violate the terms of the agreement, Microsoft is free to take action.

Now, moving along... I see your story has changed yet again and we're back to selling something again. And frankly, I have to say that either your lawyer is completely incompetent for not being able to figure this out in about 30 seconds, or more likely your ever changing story means that the whole lawyer bit is just that: a story. First you've made a number systems for an old lady, then it was a friend and you're outraged at the implication you sell anything, now it seems you claim to work for a small computer repair shop. These are just some of the broader strokes, I'm sure if I really wanted to comb through your posts I could find a number of inconsistencies and places where you outright changed your story.

I'd suggest you just stop digging your hole now, while you can still see daylight. And to facilitate that, I'd again recommend this thread be locked. If it wasn't clear before, it seems clear now that we're dealing with pirated goods. That, and the ever changing story which really doesn't help matters in the slightest.

Collapse -
Nobody here knows why you can't do it.

In reply to: In Reply to: microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?

Which mostly is because you didn't make it clear to us what you did and what happened.

If it's a license and activation problem (and it seems to be that) only Microsoft (who owns Windows, sells licenses and carries out activation) can solve it for you. Nobody here can, as has you have been told already.

Kees

Collapse -
microsoft says legal copy is not legal, why?

In reply to: Nobody here knows why you can't do it.

I have found out the answer, so for all who have had the same problem with Microsoft saying ones copy of Windows is not legal when it is legal.

"Microsoft XP needs Microsoft Word to be installed on the
SAME Hard Drive.

Microsoft XP will not work correctly or be able to Register
with Microsoft until Microsoft Word is installed.

Microsoft Word 2000 or later is required to be installed to
allow Windows XP to Register correctly with Microsoft??.."

It has Nothing to do with any of the comments/answers that has been posted to my original question asking for help/advice.

Collapse -
Ummmmm... No?

Not even sure where to begin with this one because there's not a single thing correct in it. It needs to be said, otherwise someone may come along some day and think that because it was left unchallenged it was true... Because it's not... Not a single thing said in your last post was true, and I have no idea where it is you came across this "information" but it is a bad source. Because, and someone stop me if I've said this already, there's nothing... Nothing at all... Not even a little bit... Correct about what you just said.

Word and Windows are two completely separate products, and need not be installed on the same system in order for one to work. There are probably millions of people who manage to run XP without Word installed, and have absolutely no problems at all.

Honestly, the only possible way I can come up with right now, for installing Word suddenly making XP appear to be legit, is if you have a pirated copy of Word that installs some kind of WGA bypass program which affects Windows as well as Office. Which would make a fair bit of sense. You had a pirated copy of XP and Word, but you didn't install Word this time around, and so the crack wasn't installed, thus the activation issues. And for the record, just like Windows, MS Word requires that you pay each time you install it, or it's a pirated copy, ergo illegal. You can't just buy one copy and then install it on an unlimited number of computers. That has NEVER been legal, but until Windows XP there was never any real enforcement in the software itself.

Collapse -
Where to begin?

You make 3 assertions about XP and Word and while we know that parts of Word or Office must be install on drive C or more correctly the drive that has Windows, not all of Word must be installed there for XP to activate.

All 3 statements are false so it must be something else.

As noted earlier, the story and what happened is still unknown.

But your last post might hold a clue. Maybe someone tried to manually free up space on drive C and created the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Microsoft Ltd USA says so.

In reply to: Where to begin?

Collapse -
Microsoft Ltd?

In reply to: Microsoft Ltd USA says so.

Microsoft Ltd? There is no such entity. Microsoft Inc would have obliterated them one way or another.

Show us where on Microsoft's website, which is www.microsoft.com, it says that Windows XP requires Microsoft Word to be installed to pass activation validation. Copy and paste the link in a reply.

If you can do so, then I know at least I will shut up on the subject and admit you were right. Of course I won't be holding my breath waiting.

And just a quick refresher on basic debate rules: You make a claim, I say prove it, and you then prove your claim. So, you say Microsoft says this is the case, Bob and I both call BS and say prove it, so now it's your turn to find proof.

Collapse -
what are you on about???

In reply to: Microsoft Ltd?

What on web site??
we contacted Microsoft ltd.
That was part of their repy.
Are YOU calling Microsoft a liar?

Collapse -
Sorry,

In reply to: what are you on about???

time for this thread to retire.

You seem to have solved your problem your way, and so the purpose of the thread no longer exists.

Locked.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.