Computer Help forum

General discussion

Microsoft Registry Checker Problems

by franchiseguy / October 29, 2005 5:36 AM PDT

I ran registry checker via PC Tools Registry Mechanic on my Win98SE and it stalled out at the MS Registry Checker blue screen. When I boot up it starts checking but stalls after the first line. I've tried holding down F8 and F* plus Ctrl. Nothing works. I can't use ny computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Registry Checker Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Registry Checker Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Registry checker
by The Fly / October 29, 2005 7:47 AM PDT

Were you having a problem that required you to make changes to the registry? If not, it is usually best to leave this alone unless you are completely familiar with the changes that are being made.

You can try to do a repair reinstall of the OS. Put your install CD in and run the install of the OS right over what is there. If that doesn't work, it is probably best to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. If possible, make sure you have backups of all your data before starting any of this. If you wipe the hard drive, you will lose everything. The repair reinstall should not affect the data, but sometimes computers do unexpected things.

Collapse -
MS Registry Checker Problems
by franchiseguy / October 29, 2005 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Registry checker

I have tried to install Win 98SE from original CD to no avail. I would love to wipe the hard drive but I can't get beyond the blue screen MS Registry checker.

Collapse -
Guessing..
by Bob__B / October 30, 2005 12:16 AM PDT

I have no idea what PC Tools Registry Mechanic is.

It seems that what your saying is you tried to run this product and it hung.

Now everytime you boot it tries to rerun this product and it hangs.

Can you get into safe mode?

The method to do this varies by machine, on this machine I just hold down the "ctrl" key while booting.

If that does not work post your machine type and maybe someone will have a hint. ie.tapping f2 or some such.

Collapse -
Reload Windows..
by jackintucson / October 30, 2005 2:05 AM PST

Right after you turn the machine on you should have the ability to enter "Setup" in the BIOS. Go to Boot Sequence and change the initial boot device to the cd-rom. With the cd in the player, exit the BIOS. Your computer will now boot to the cd and you will have to ability to re-install Windows. You may not have to reformat your drive and hence, not loose your other programs and data. Try that first before reformatting the HD. Once that is done create a "start-up" diskette. This will allow you to boot the computer in DOS.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
MS Registry Checker blue screen stalled Win 98 SE
by franchiseguy / November 2, 2005 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Reload Windows..

None of everyone's suggestions have worked because the hard drive immediately after startup it goes to the MS Reg Checker. I've tried F8 during startup, F2, F8 & Ctrl ata the same time, reinstalling windows at startup etc. I know it was a stupid thing to run the MS Reg Check. Thank you all for your suggestions. Since I backed up my files prior to this I am ok. I'm going to solve this problem the easy way...I'm going to buy a new computer!

Collapse -
Buy new computer
by The Fly / November 2, 2005 4:33 AM PST

That will definitely solve the problem or if you don't really need a new computer, you could just buy a new hard drive. They are really cheap these days, just look for the special sales. Of course Win98SE is getting a little long in the tooth and this is a good excuse to get a lot more and better computer for probably less than than you paid for the one you have.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.