Mac Applications forum

Question

Microsoft Office - Problems Launching?

I'm running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) with 2.4 GHz Intel and 4GB of ram.

Anytime I try to launch an Office program (Word, Excel or Powerpoint) it loads amazingly slowly and slows down my entire computer so that I can't do anything else.

The last time I tried to open Word, I opened Activity Monitor first so I could see what's going on. Usually my % usages for the CPU are under 10%, but when I tried to open word it jumped up to over 40% for most of the time, and peaked at about 70%. That can't be normal.

It usually takes 5-10 mins to load completely, although it usually opens within a minute and then gives me the beachball for the rest of that time. Once it does get loaded, it works fine as long as I don't Quit (then it takes just as long to load). Restarting the mac doesn't help, either.

I think I'll probably have to reinstall Office, but I was hoping someone might have an easier solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Office - Problems Launching?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Office - Problems Launching?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does any other program behave like this?

In reply to: Microsoft Office - Problems Launching?

If yes, it may be something else. Tu rule out a direct Office impact, make a test administrative account (hope you know how to make it), log into it and see if it helps. If not, reinstalling office may be needed. But if yes, the problem may be on your main account calling for maintenance, like repairing permissions with Disk utility, deep cleaning of various cafes with Onyx, etc. Will take 5 minutes to make the account and test.

Collapse -
It's only Office.

In reply to: Does any other program behave like this?

No, only office programs are behaving this way. All my adobe programs run without a hitch and the standard Mac software is fine too.

I don't know how to make an administrative account. I'm not sure if I'd even be able to, as this is my work computer on a network.

Collapse -
check your system preferences>users and groups

In reply to: It's only Office.

In order to install any new software including Office 2011, you need an administrator password (this is what you use to login to the computer). Hope you have one, if not, your IT person has one. Once you know you have it, open system preferences>users and groups (could also be accounts), click on the padlock and type your admin password. The padlock opens. Click on the plus sign (bottom left). In the window, choose under New account "administrator" (on older OS it may be just account and you need to click on "allow this account to administer the computer). Name it as you wish, choose an easy password, input everything and click on "create" (or create user). Log out of the computer and log in again into the new account that will be displayed. Once there, launch any Office app (from the Applications folder) and see how it behaves. If normal, your computer is up for maintenance. If again it goes as before, uninstall Office and reinstall. After uninstall I would restart and after reinstall as well.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would uninstall that version of Office

In reply to: Microsoft Office - Problems Launching?

and reinstall it.

It should not take that long to load.

What version of Office for Mac is it?

P

Collapse -
I knew I forgot something!

In reply to: I would uninstall that version of Office

It's Office 2011, and it was a fresh install about 2 weeks ago. I knew I forgot to say something the that original post.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.