Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Microsoft Office & PowerPoint

by kameelean / March 4, 2007 2:54 AM PST

Hi all,

I typically use the MAC desktop publishing/graphic programs like InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

I have created a design in illustrator and wanted to import the design as a background into a word processing program, on my PC, like MSWord, add the text and give it to a client so that he can shange the text for an upcoming event and reuse the same file.

The problem started when I found out that Word won't allow me to slant the type on an angle that I choose (which the design calls for). I did some investigating and found out that PowerPoint allows me to slant the type, so I used that program and it worked fine until I noticed that the lettering and in some cases whole words were shifting up and down! I thought it was just how it appeared on screen, but when I created a PDF, sure enough, the same wavy type effect.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or can anyone suggest a program that would be better for this type of project? The client is the typical "dabbler" in only Microsoft products (PC platform).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Office & PowerPoint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Office & PowerPoint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: MS Word
by Kees Bakker / March 4, 2007 4:30 AM PST

I'm afraid MS Word is only a word processor, not a full fledged DTP-program. Your client may try Microsoft Publisher instead: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/default.aspx
Or see if WordArt (part of MS Office) does what he needs, but I doubt if that's professional enough.

Luckily, Adobe Indesign and Illustrator are available for Windows also. So even if Publisher isn't what he needs, he need not buy a Mac!

I suggest you don't spend any unpaid time in this issue. Let him research his own needs if he prefers not to follow your recommendation for Adobe products. Or pay you to research Publisher, of course. You wouldn't object to that, would you?

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by kameelean / March 4, 2007 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: MS Word

I didn't think so... I've dabbled in Publisher before and will check just for my own curiosity but will pass the buck on to the client and see what he says. BTW, I heard that the MSWord for Visio will allow you to slan text though, but I won't go there yet!

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Depends on the text
by entrecon / March 4, 2007 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I agree that publisher is the program for this, but if it is just a little bit of text that needs to be slanted they might be able to do it with Word Art.

Collapse -
Amt. of Text
by kameelean / March 5, 2007 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Depends on the text

There are two paragraphs with indents and inset images. Probably too complex for Word Art.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?