General discussion

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

My outlook is linked to 2 email accounts, and I only get a display alert when my default inbox gets an email. I'd like to get a display alert when both of my inbox's get an email. I set up a rule for it, but the rule doesn't seem to be working. Thanks in advance for the help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Nod.

I remember this bug. From memory I recall it was never fixed.

- Collapse -
Does a work-around help?

Link both e-mail accounts to the same Inbox (the one that gives the alerts).
Then make a rule to move a mail from one account to it's own inbox (if you want to have 2 inboxes, that is).

Kees

- Collapse -
I'm not sure

How would I link both e-mail accounts to the same inbox? Hopefully my description makes sense...

The default inbox is my personal email account, and the 2nd email account, (which has its' own inbox), is linked to more than just my outlook. It's linked to my co-worker's outlook as well. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If you think that would work, could you walk me through how to do it? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Is this an inbox on an Exchange Server?

My assumption was that you used Outlook with a pop3-account. But now it seems a company environment with co-workers and Exchange.

That means you call the helpdesk or the others on the IT-staff that function as such. They might have a support contract with Microsoft, and that - of course - is the best place to ask.
And they might be able to implement a rule on the Exchange server that sends a mail to your inbox triggered by a new message in the other inbox. Managing the Exchange server is (one of things) they are paid for.

Kees

- Collapse -
Yes it is

I don't want more emails to be generated, all I want is a display alert to let me know that my other inbox got an email.

- Collapse -
Such an email creates the alert.

And there can be a rule to delete it after it served it purpose.

Anyway, this was just a suggestion for if even your IT staff can't get it done the way you want.

Kees

- Collapse -
Rules

I went in and created the rule that whenever my non-default inbox gets an email, to forward an email to my default inbox. The rule doesn't seem to work, because through various test emails I sent, and emails other people sent to my non-default inbox, not one got forwarded to my default inbox, therefor, no display alert.

- Collapse -
As Bob said in post #2 ...

it's a bug that's never fixed.

That's annoying indeed.
- Maybe it's fixed in Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010?
- Maybe your IT staff can fix something in the Exchange Server?
- Maybe the IT staff can find a solution using their Microsoft support contract?
But it seems you can't fix it in Outlook 2003 yourself.

Kees

- Collapse -
Ok

Thanks for your responses, and thanks for trying your best to belittle me.

- Collapse -
Best of luck trying to solve this.

Just one more suggestion. Write a macro that each minute looks in that other inbox to see if there's a new message in it. If there is, it gives an alert. Then it waits for a minute. All you've got to do: start that macro each morning.

This is something you can do in Outlook, without being dependent on Microsoft of your IT-staff.

Kees

- Collapse -
Think about it.

If Microsoft never fixed it, maybe you are not belittled at all!
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info