Computer Help forum

General discussion

Microsoft office activation

by mitchell2.0 / September 18, 2008 4:51 PM PDT

I got microsoft office 2003, and installed it on my computer. Now I have upgraded, and I cant get it onto my new one, because you can only activate it once. Does anyone know a way around this stupid system?

Why cant you deactivate it, so that you can activate it on your new machine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft office activation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft office activation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into
by Willy / September 19, 2008 12:06 AM PDT

You lack system details, but I suspect this is an OEM version of Office. if so, then yeah its stuck on that brand or system. You can't re-install elsewhere and/or is part of the s/w bundle. Now, you see why many like&dislike Office. I suggest you contact online MS support and see what the real answer is. They provide mucho info on such topics, just query at MS. if you like try OpenOffice, StarOffice or similar Office replacements. You can read your MS file sunder these pgms.
Here's a quick link:
http://www.msboycott.com/thealt/alts/office.shtml

Again, contact MS support for what maybe causing your issue. Though, your OEM system maker should be the primary source. If not OEM type Office, then MS.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Here's something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

Look at http://www.openoffice.org and install that. Now you can open, edit, print your .DOC, .XLS, and other MS Office files while you call the source of your office to ask them what to do.
Bob

Collapse -
I see why people would dislike office
by mitchell2.0 / September 19, 2008 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's something.

Microsoft office I would say is the best software of its type, but if you have to phone them and then hope they beleive your story, or pay a few hundred dollars again, i see why people would dislike it.

Anyway, ill give it a try

Collapse -
Bingo
by Renegade Knight / September 20, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

We have 2003. It came with "2 Seats" meaning I can have it on two machines. Once when installing it I hit my install limit. NP that was when I thought I had 3 seats like what I had read online.

In time I got new computers refomated old ones and kept up with keeping this on 2 computers. I've never had a problem but the one.

Along comes 2007 and we got that. It also has 2 seats. I was very careful to keep it on two computers while my son (It was a gift for his laptop for graduation and for college) was waiting on his laptop, and then when he got his laptop we installed it there. Not once did I ever have this one more than 2 computers. It won't work on his laptop. "too many installs". So the DRM for the product is preventing it from working for the purpose that I bought it. He's going to have to call MicroSoft and ask for a key. Since he's the kind to have to reformat his computer once a year, it's going to be a nuisance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.