Computer Help forum

General discussion

Microsoft office 2007 and the

by xarcanus / November 11, 2008 3:58 AM PST

Hi I have an HP DV600 (canadian version)

My keyboard has three sets of symbols on them; letters, stuff that's in boxes, that i can use when I hit the function key. e.g. FN and F7 has a little brightness symbol and then a set of blue symbols e.g. the '/' key has an

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft office 2007 and the
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft office 2007 and the
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
French?
by ChuckT / November 11, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Sounds like you may have an English/French keyboard. You said this was a Canadian version, right? so that makes sense.

If this is a laptop, the Blue key functions are "enabled" when holding down the Blue "Fn" key. For example, Fn+"brightness symbol" will brighten up the back-light for the screen. Chances are very good that there is a complement "dim" key right next to that "brightness."

If you haven't figured it out already, that key (plus holding down the Blue Fn key) will make the back-light dim down some, and possibly saving some energy, and allowing the batteries last longer.

There are possibly other Blue special keys for increasing/decreasing the speaker volume, and for turning on/off the external and internal monitor. Look around those Blue symbol keys, generally the icon is almost self-explanatory. Or, (here's a thought!) read the manual.

Along with those Blue special functions will also be a combination that will enable the Numlock, and ScrollLock, etc.) And it sounds like some of the French needed special accented keys, like

Collapse -
French
by xarcanus / November 11, 2008 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: French?

I checked the manual carefully before posting here (please give me some credit), but it only had a list of Fn+F1-F12 commands. there is no light that comes on when i'm stuck in french mode, and it only seems to happen in Microsoft word and Excel.

Thanks for trying to help

X

Collapse -
I need a better model number
by ChuckT / November 11, 2008 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: French

I'm trying to locate better info on the keyboard and its keys. I have gone to HP's Support website, and I am having difficulty in location the DV600 laptop. Most references I find are to a DV6000. So I figured perhaps either you might have mistyped or perhaps the DV600 and DV6000 are very similar, at least pertaining to the keyboard.

Then I found over 48 models relating to the DV6000. There are many submodels, i.e.:
HP Pavilion dv6000 Entertainment Notebook PC series

Collapse -
Fixed!
by xarcanus / November 13, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Hey;

Apparently, this was a big issue with hp computers and Canadians (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=183047&page=2) for more details.

Anyway, i kept searching and i stumbled across this. It turns out ctrl+fn+shift puts you in french mode, but no light comes on. The problem only happens if you tell vista that you live in Canada. To fix, you push the button combination twice or go to the regional language settings in control pannel, go under keyboards and delete everything except U.S. (this is a more permanent solution.

Man, that was annoying.

Thanks for your help Chuck

X

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?