HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

microsoft office 2003 problems

by hsmiller59 / March 1, 2011 9:26 AM PST

I am running XP on a Dell Vostro computer. In the last month I have been having problems with Microsoft Office - all the products. After the computer has been on "awhile" (about 30 minutes) microsoft products take longer on certain functions - when I do "save as" it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for the pop up to appear. Then another 30 seconds to a minute after you type in a file name. Other functions, such as insert -page break also takes a long time.

I don't know what's changed on my computer for this to happen.

I've downloaded two "free" programs - but they aren't free. I'm not adverse to paying but want a reliable product - both told me I had registry errors but not sure if that relates to this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried changing the normal.dot file name - didn't help. I turned off my antivirus software - didn't help.

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft office 2003 problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft office 2003 problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some thoughts.
by Papa Echo / March 1, 2011 9:35 PM PST

1. Your HD is almost full,and or full of debries which need cleaning up.
2. Your RAM is low.... 1G only ?
3. Heat
4. You have too many unnecessary background programs or services running...
5. Computer set to apperance instead of performance.
6. HD fragmented.
etc.

Collapse -
Other possibilities
by Jimmy Greystone / March 1, 2011 10:00 PM PST

Other possibilities, and just as a quick aside before we begin, registry programs are NEVER the answer, unless the question is how to screw up your computer. Anyway, other possibilities:

If this is happening with more than just Office, then your HDD is likely failing. Always a good idea to have a recent backup of data regardless, so be sure to make one now.

Others will disagree, but modern HDDs really are not subject to performance degradation due to fragmentation. Not only is the performance of most apps not driven by disk access speed, even the fastest HDD out there is still like something from the 1960s compared to improvements that have been made in every other part of the computer. There's just so little to be gained from defragmenting, it's not worth the time to actually do it. For most people anyway. Before the master straw man builders show up, there are a few exceptions. If you happen to do say video editing on a professional scale or run a large database server where squeezing out every possible concurrent connection possible is absolutely vital, the above may not apply as much. For the average home user who does some web browsing, email, maybe some light word processing... Completely pointless and worthless use of time to defragment your HDD.

Go to Dell's website, and on the page where you can download BIOS updates and other drivers, you should be able to download Dell's diagnostic program. It should be only a few MB, so even fairly dialup friendly. Download that, burn it to a CD or install it on a flash drive, and then run it. It will include a check of the HDD. I haven't used it in a few months, but assuming it's more or less the same as when I last did, run the full scan, not just the quick one. It will take a good long time, and you'll have to hit a few keys on the keyboard, etc, but that will be your best chance of finding out of there's anything wrong hardware wise with your system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.