HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

microsoft network wizard disk

by genaii0 / June 22, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

when using microsoft networking wizard on hp running winME, it tells you to make a disk for your win95 computers~`but when i try to run the disk on the win95 puter, it says A:\ is not accessible~~all other floppies work on that puter~`is there a way to fix this~~I've tried several different floppies ~~ HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft network wizard disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft network wizard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is that disk?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 3:09 AM PDT

I've never used it since I can just set the settings via control panel much faster.

Too bad you didn't share what you wanted to do.

Bob

Collapse -
using control panel?
by genaii0 / June 22, 2005 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: What is that disk?

trying to setup network between hp running winME & compaq running win95~~both have network capabilities~~so if floppy made from networking wizard doesn't work, how can I set up the win95 puter thru control panel? both show network setup just not connected

Collapse -
how are...
by Dick White / June 22, 2005 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: using control panel?

how are the computers connected to anything in the physical sense? What kind of network wires are plugged into where? The wizard does not make connections out of thin air where there are no wires. When you connect the right kind of wires to the right kind of places, the network protocols in the operating systems take care of themselves. The wizard simply gives a neophyte an easy way to set up the protocols if not already set up. Usually the protocols are already set, so the wizard does nothing new.

Collapse -
connections
by genaii0 / June 22, 2005 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: how are...

am using Linksys hub~~these puters were networked until the hp royally crashed~~did a restore & now can't network them

Collapse -
Linksys hub model bumber please...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: connections

And what's plugged into it.

Share so you can get that great answer.

Bob

Collapse -
no hub #
by genaii0 / June 22, 2005 7:26 AM PDT

can't find a model number on the hub~~says 5 port workgroup hub only & yes i checked the bottom too LOl

Collapse -
So that's not a router then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: no hub #

I wonder what's in the other ports?

I hope we don't read you put a cable/dsl modem in there.

Bob

Collapse -
Consider the logic of this sequence of events...
by Dick White / June 22, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: connections

HP computer (running ME) is networked to Win95 computer. HP computer crashes. HP computer is reloaded. Network doesn't. What does the Win95 computer have to do with any of this? Nothing, it didn't crash and hasn't been touched, it was the HP that crashed and was reloaded. So forget the wizard disk to fix the '95 computer, nothing wrong there. Fix the HP computer.

Check that all drivers are up-to-date. Remove and reload the network device if necessary. Install all necessary protocols (TCP/IP at a minimum). What else is in the mix that you haven't mentioned yet?

dw

Collapse -
You didn't share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: using control panel?

1. Your wiring setup.
2. What you were trying to do.
3. A story.

The diskette does so little that it's something many can do without. However one must tell what the goal is.

Bob

Collapse -
my guess...
by Dick White / June 22, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

That error message suggests there may be a hardware issue with the floppy drives. This could be:

Bad floppy diskette itself, which could be as simple as unformatted or as "complicated" as faulty disk media. Use a diskette that you know works for other files.

Bad drive, which could be either drive. Be sure the drives are working by testing file copying from other diskettes with other files.

Incompatible drives - This is a long shot, but is the newer WinME drive high density while the older Win95 drive is low density? If so, you need to use a low density diskette and force the WinME drive to use the low density format, because the old low density drive can't read a high density diskette.

Finally, have you considered learning enough about networking and setting up the proper protocols in the operating systems so that you don't have to use the wizard disk? There really isn't much rocket science going on behind the scenes of that wizard. If a computer has never had any networking hardware installed, there are a few tweaks to the My Network Places (on ME, was called Network Neighborhood on 98 and 95) properties, but nothing wild going on in there like with installing hardware drivers... Just something to consider.

dw

Collapse -
Best place to learn more about the settings
by Dr Faldown Strangely / June 29, 2005 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: my guess...

Any suggestions? The Wizard is not my friend.

Faldown

Collapse -
start here...
by Dick White / June 29, 2005 12:08 PM PDT

and work your way in. If you learn something, thank Bob Proffit, our indefagitable and indispensable moderator...

oh, and yes, the wizard is sometimes, but not always, your friend...

dw

Collapse -
oops... forget to add the link...
by Dick White / June 29, 2005 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: start here...
Collapse -
Indefatigable?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: start here...

I may seem indefatigable, but networking is something that my lesson is that not all possible network configurations are a good idea.

I've seen people spend a month attempting that wifi/adhoc/no-router ICS setup only to discover:

a. They would not try it without the firewall. Hint: the firewall did work!
b. Unexplicable reasons why it never worked. After a month of effort, they are more than willing to...

Spend the 20 to 30 bucks for a Wifi Router and get on with it.

Bob

Collapse -
yup...
by Dick White / June 30, 2005 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Indefatigable?

lol, sometimes I feel like I'm spending more time and effort trying to help them struggle through the ICS and adhoc stuff than the $20-30, so maybe I should just buy for them the router they don't want to buy themselves... And then there are the few who are trapped behind USB modems and therefore a router is not an option. It is satisfying to help them finally beat their networks into submission.

dw

Collapse -
I'm having to add WINSOCKFIX to the fixing brew.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2005 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: yup...

If the person is having network troubles, I'me getting good results from WINSOCKFIX and WINSOCKXPFIX. It can be related to malware or P2P software they were using and most will not share they installed such.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.