Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Microsoft Mobile Search

by AndyInTN / February 13, 2006 2:59 AM PST
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
MSN Search is Default for the Unknowing user
by mwrisner / February 13, 2006 3:14 AM PST

The tech-savvy -- like those who navigate (and lurk) forums easily -- generally prefer Google ... at least in my experience.

But people like my 60-something parents use IE with the MSN home page left as default. They've HEARD of Google, but they don't USE Google.

And if I changed the default page to Google, my mom would call and ask me where all the news headlines went.

Collapse -
*GASPS*
by AndyInTN / February 13, 2006 3:43 AM PST

IE!!! lol

Yeah, my sister is somewhat the same way. She ONLY uses Yahoo, which is fine, I guess for her. For me though, I have always had better luck with Google.

I would say its a preference thing, but honestly, in all of my experiences, I have always had better luck with Google.

I guess one thing to say about Yahoo & MSN search is the fact that when you search for something, you're going to get results that you wouldn't have thought about getting. I guess in some cases that would be a good thing.

Collapse -
difrent indexing
by rosscbrown / February 13, 2006 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: *GASPS*

I use google because it works 99 times out of 100. I used to spend loads of time going thru the big search sites looking to see where and how my sites were being indexed and google has got really good indexing, where as msn is easier to find my name in.

yahoo i always found was a bit slow on indexing some stuff.

So lets ket google be the king of search!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!