Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Microsoft Messenger 5.0 Transferring files

by AllAnniewants / November 5, 2005 3:11 AM PST

I have a Mac OS X 10.3.9. I am having trouble transferring & recieving files with Microsoft Messenger 5.0. The program works fine until you try to transfer, it lets you accept it and then gives an error message. I have checked under preferences and I can't find any option for transferring.

Can someone help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Messenger 5.0 Transferring files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Messenger 5.0 Transferring files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
???????
by AllAnniewants / November 12, 2005 11:43 PM PST

Does anyone not know how to do this??

Collapse -
Apparently, you are the only person to transfers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: ???????

files using this method.
I have never attempted to use MS Messenger for anything, including transferring files to some place.
What are you trying to transfer and to whom? Would that be another messenger user?
Personally I use my dotmac account to make files available in my public folder. This is accessible to anyone I want it to be and I can restrict access to it based on name.

P

Collapse -
Not really an answer...
by lampietheclown / November 14, 2005 11:28 AM PST

....to your question, but AOL's AIM (aol Instant Messenger) software works well for this purpose, and you should already have it installed. Look for i-chat in your apps folder.

Pete, the cool thing about transfering files this way is that there is no size limitation. I've done it with aol's AIM software and large audio files many times.

My question.
AllAnniewants,
Does your MSN Messenger have video or audio chat that works on the Mac when connected to PC users? I have a friend in South America who is PC and for some reason her AIM software and mine won't hook up for audio chat. she has MSN, and has used her audio chat on it.

Thanks,

Lampie

Collapse -
Transfers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 11:41 AM PST

OK,
Good point.

I think the MSN messenger thing was beaten to death a couple of weeks ago. The poster could never get MSN messenger PC to video with the Mac version.

P

Collapse -
Thanks, I must have missed it.
by lampietheclown / November 14, 2005 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: Transfers

Do you happen to remember the title of the post? I don't so much need video as I do audio. Maybe there's a hint in what was written that could help.

Lampie

Collapse -
MSN
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 8:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Have we no answer?
by AllAnniewants / November 14, 2005 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: MSN

So is there no solution for this problem or at least a reasoning for it not to work? Maybe I ask to much, but I can't imagine that there is nothing on the web to download, to fix this problem...

THX

Collapse -
The holder of this answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Have we no answer?

is Microsoft.
They are the only ones who can create the necessary MS Messenger software for the Mac that does Video. It appear that they either can't or won't.
Note that Messenger for PC is V7.0 and 5.0 for the Mac. Note that the Windows messenger website mentions video for the Windows version but the Mac Messenger website does not mention video at all.
It is not a fault with your machine, it's a fault with MS.
By the way, what sort of internet connection do you use this with?

P

Collapse -
The holder
by AllAnniewants / November 15, 2005 7:31 AM PST

I have cable connection. I don't want to use the video for MSN Messenger, I really only want to use it for transferring files while IM'ing. I do have 5.0 for MAC. Does it mention anything for transferring?

Collapse -
Have you been able
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 15, 2005 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: The holder

to transfer any files using 5.0 yet or do they all end in an error message.

P

Collapse -
make an exact note
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 15, 2005 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Have you been able

of the error message and use it to search the MS web site.
They may have an answer

MS are very coy about the file transfer capabilities of Messenger for Mac, they keep quoting Live Messenger Server.

They do have a help section once you have a Passport Number etc.

P

Collapse -
Messenger
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 11:02 PM PST

Check out the MS Messenger web site for the full specs on the Mac version of Messenger. You will find it severely handicapped.

P

Collapse -
RE Ur question
by AllAnniewants / November 14, 2005 10:19 PM PST

Thank you for explaining about the size limitations,as I forgot that part. I do have iChat also, but I have not tried it yet for audio or mic or tranferring.

RE ur question,
The video and audio does not work either for MSN Messenger. My pc friends say that they do not have a problem with transferring or mic when talking to another PC. I am not sure if it is just a PC + MAC thing.

Collapse -
Make that WHO transfers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 13, 2005 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: ???????

BTW, did you ever sort out your iTunes CD burning problem?

P

Collapse -
by AllAnniewants / November 14, 2005 8:40 AM PST

Thank you for asking about the iTunes issue I was having, it actually was as simple as just setting my prefences from Data format to MP3 format. Which I felt kind of dumb about..
RE: Messenger. While I am IM'ing with someone, you can usaully send them or receive a file (like a picture) instead of having to go to email to send it. It will ask you if you will accept the file or not, once I hit accept it will error out & I cannot receive the file or try to transfer it. I use to be able to do it with windows, but I am now using a MAC. I can also send & receive a file while using Yahoo Messenger. I know, I can always use Yahoo messenger, but I'd like to figure out why it does not work with MSN Messenger, when it should.
THX

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.