Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

microsoft messenger

ms messenger is like crab grass. i cannot get rid of it. no matter how many times i have disabled it at startup in msconfig, its back the next time i boot up my hp pavillion computer running xp home. its aided by microsoft's antispyware which says its harmless and its going to be allowe at startup. i dont even want this application, but i have found that i cant even delete it. i get a message that naother program is using it. it cant be removed from the control panel nor from tuneup utilities application delete function. someone , please help me on this. how does one kill the messenger? thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft messenger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You almost had it

In reply to: microsoft messenger

To "Shoot the Messenger" download the free program from here: http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Also, you could go into the preferences of Windows Messenger and make sure that load on startup is disabled.

Hope this helps,
Adi

Collapse -
microsoft network messenger

In reply to: You almost had it

thank you. im sorry, i should have been more specific. its microsoft network messenger i cant get rid of. its insidious. but i did get rid of windows messenger, lol. one more step to get my machine where i want it to be

Collapse -
Remove/disable MSNM

In reply to: microsoft network messenger

I am new (actually not interested) in all things with ''Messenger'', so I am not familiar with the program. It seems that MSN Manager is the same as Microsoft Network Messenger (MSNM) ?

If you cannot delete it, maybe you can disable or stop it at the program itself, e.g. not starting when Windows starts. (the setting should be at, e.g. options/preferences; connection; etc.)

Collapse -
Hang on

In reply to: Remove/disable MSNM

I think I've missed something here... Happy Are you talking about MSN Messenger? If so, you can just uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

Collapse -
For discussion - Messengers.....

In reply to: Hang on

What messengers ? Some thoughts:

?MSN Messenger - can be downloaded and installed, so can be uninstalled at Control Panel>Add/Remove.

?Windows Messenger - a component of Windows, so can be disabled at Add/Removed>Windows Components.

?Microsoft Network Messenger - now what is that ?

AND

?What is the "Messenger" you can find at "services.msc" ? How is this related to the above messengers, if indeed they are related ? AND how are the above "Messengers" related to one another ?

Collapse -
I assume

In reply to: For discussion - Messengers.....

that Microsoft Network Messenger is MSN Messenger (MSN is the abbreviation for Microsoft Network) which is why you should be able to uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.

Collapse -
removing *messenger

In reply to: I assume

Well, mjd was not able to remove it at Add/Remove, that's why I suggested disabling it at the program itself.

Perhaps someone can verify that:

MSN Messenger is:

* Microsoft Network Messenger, or
* ''Microsoft Network'' Messenger, or
* Microsoft ''Network Messenger'',or
* ''MSN'' Messenger, or
*Simply ''MSN Messenger'', as distinct from all of the above ?

The above should not be confused with ''Windows Messenger'', which is a diferent program.

And then, there is Yahoo! Messenger. Confusing, is it not ?

Collapse -
Ms Messager

In reply to: You almost had it

Thanks! I have tried to get rid of this too.
With your info, it's gone from my task bar.

Collapse -
Stopping Microsoft Messenger

In reply to: Ms Messager

1: Stop messenger from running then go to
c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe

rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs.ex
If you cannot rename then it is still running.

Unless you rename it back, other programs cannot start it.

To stop windows messenger, and it should be turned off

Go To -> Start -> Run type in services.msc

Look for messenger in the list, double click it and STOP the service then set it to disabled. Then OK.

Now they will both be stopped.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.