Computer Help forum

General discussion

Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000 HELP NEEDED

by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 2:39 AM PDT

I just bought the Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 and have installed the software that came with it. When I went to use the camera, I cannot open the program, it just looks for errors. I can make a call through messenger but I don't have any sound. So I went to my audios and vidoe settings. When I get to the microphone setup, it does not recognise my webcam as an option. So, I know this camera has a microphone and I thought maybe there must be some sort of error somewhere. I have uninstalled and re-installed twice and even downloaded a newer version of the software from Microsoft. I'm running Windows Vista. What do I have to do to make this work??? Please help! It's so frustrationg!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000 HELP NEEDED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000 HELP NEEDED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Microsoft's latest driver software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 HELP NEEDED
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 2:53 AM PDT

Ya - I have already downloaded that and have the same results ...
Thanks for the offered information though

Collapse -
Now we get to ask...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

What machine is this?

Collapse -
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 HELP NEEDED
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Now we get to ask...

Do you want to know my model # and all the specs?
I had forgotten to include that I previously have had the NX-3000 model installed and working (other than an uncontrolable flicker problem) but had unistalled that before attempting this new one ...

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 3:36 AM PDT
http://www.google.com/search?q=NX-3000 finds no PC but another webcam.

Here's what you should be seeing everytime you post -> Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

It saves time if you follow that note's advice.
Collapse -
Sorry - I have all the info now ...
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Ok - I have got all the specs off the box, I'm not too sure what's necessary but here's all of it ...
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
Model - ZT Affinity
AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor 4200+
2.2 GHz, 512 KB Cashe, 800MHz
1024 MB PC2-533 DDR II Memory
250 GB Hard Disk Drive
5 in 1 Optical Drive
15 in 1 Memory Card Reader
56K/V.92 data/fax modem
Integrated 8 channel audio
Integrated 10/100M Ethernet LAN
Integrated ATI's Radeon X1200 graphics

I hope all this helps!

Collapse -
oh ...
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

And I did forget that the NX-3000 was my previous LifeCam webcam that I was using ... Sorry bout that again!

Collapse -
Just one little detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: oh ...

Is that some HP or other PC? If home made, who installed the OS and how do we know they got all the drivers right?

Collapse -
PS. Guessing here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yup - that's it
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. Guessing here.

This is my machine, I've had it for over a year now ... Could this really be a machine problem if I've had other cams working alright before? Should I maybe try exchanging the camera as well?

Collapse -
From my view...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup - that's it

It looks like the machine's "drivers." This area is far from automatic and why Apple is gaining users.

On my part all I can ask is that you install the machine's drivers for motherboard and video and see if that helps.
Bob

Collapse -
ok ...
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: From my view...

Thanks for your help!!! I'll give that a try.

Collapse -
After the motherboard drivers....."it just looks for errors"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

Can you expand on "it just looks for errors"?

You don't have to tell much here. Only the very first dialog box and what its telling you.
Bob

Collapse -
the error message ...
by jenn.newman / October 19, 2008 5:28 AM PDT

When I click on the icon to open the webcam (just to play with it, not to make a call) I get a small box titled LifeCam.exe has stopped working and the description says A problem caused the program to stop working correctly and the option is to close the program ...

Collapse -
What they didn't tell you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: the error message ...
Collapse -
I had the same problem and this is how I finally resolved it
by revnorm / September 6, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

The additional drivers didn't work. The only way I got it to work was to uninstall the webcam software on my computer. Then I downloaded the entire current VX-5000 software from the MICROSOFT.COM website. It appears that Microsoft has a bug in the updating software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!