Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!

by RandyH69 / May 5, 2004 6:42 PM PDT

It seems very odd that Microsoft should do this intentionally but they do. The problem starts when I install one of those automatic downloads that Windows XP tells me that it needs installed. So I do it and my computer slows down to a bare crawl. At this point, I have learned that running Spybot Search & Destroy tends to fix these problems, so I do that, it takes forever and a day to run but it goes all through my computer and cleans out my spyware (it usually tells me there were 3 problems) and lets my computer run happily again at full speed. Usually just to be on the safe side I run a Virus Scan on it anyway, but usually that comes up empty. But here is where Microsoft rears its' ugly head! Immediately after the spyware has been removed, Windows XP tells me it needs to install more automatic downloads and the cycle begins anew.
So why is Microsoft doing this, does anyone know? Can you tell me how to stop this cycle?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!
by Papa Echo / May 5, 2004 7:47 PM PDT
The problem starts when I install one of those automatic downloads that Windows XP tells me that it needs installed.

Where and how did Windows XP tell you that ?
"Automatic downloads" sounds very fishy. Maybe you mean 'automatic updates' ? Do tell more.
Collapse -
Re:Re:Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!
by RandyH69 / May 7, 2004 9:51 PM PDT

That's it, the Automatic Updates!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Microsoft keeps sending me spyware!
by Edwin / May 7, 2004 9:57 PM PDT

Hi, I always download these updates.. not all i may add because i dont need all, and i also run "search and destroy" and ive never seen any spyware generating from the automatic updates. Which updates are you updating that im not, or maybe your getting it from another source.. try not to update all at once. try 1 by 1 to find your problem.

Collapse -
by glb613 / May 5, 2004 7:53 PM PDT

Are you talking about an e-mail notification for downloads from Microsoft? If so, it is a scam that puts spyware on your computer.

Collapse -
Re:Microsoft keeps sending me spyware! Identify it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2004 9:07 PM PDT

Frankly, I haven't seen this one. There was some BOGUS patch sent through email which many don't know Microsoft doesn't distribute such.

If what you say is true, then please duplicate your post in the Security Forum, but do so with more information since I've yet to see this issue.

My bet is something else is going on.

What to share? The items that Spybot is ejecting.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Microsoft keeps sending me spyware! Identify it.
by RandyH69 / May 7, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

That's just it, when Spybot rejects the spyware, it does not tell you which files it is rejecting.

Collapse -
When I run a Spybot scan. It has details about the items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 11:48 PM PDT

Sadly, without you identifying it or showing some web article about it, it's likely that some other pest is involved.

Here's why I write this. Microsoft is under the microscope by many people. Many have even taken to dissecting all packets to/from MS during registration and more.

So far, your assertion has no corrobarating web articles, no details and as such, you may not get far.

I'm responding because I've seen this before and it always ends up with.... "never mind..."

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / May 5, 2004 9:42 PM PDT

1. The article [Q325192] discusses and describes know issues that may occur after installing certain Updates to Internet Explorer or Windows. Please review the content of this article to see whether the described issue you've reported could be linked to anything there.

2. Access the "Windows Update site" and click "View installation history" in the left frame to ascertain your system update information.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?