HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Microsoft Help and support center doesn't workII

by lady pink / May 3, 2006 9:30 AM PDT

I'm running Windows Me and I keep getting this message when I try openning Help and Support the initialization
of the help center failed error number 2147143679. How do I correct or resolve this problem

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Help and support center doesn't workII
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Help and support center doesn't workII
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft seems to list that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 11:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: ''Error Message: The Initialization of the Help Center.
by Jeannie13 / June 29, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

I had been working on Windows Me problems.
This was just the last one of many, that MS could help with. So, I was looking for help and read your post.
I would like to say thanks to you for all the help and insight. I did what you said and it worked.
Thanks again for the forum.

Collapse -
The initialisation of the Help Center Failed
by BAHNERTH / July 17, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

Many thanks.

I too had exactly the same problem as lady pink but, since I rarely use help, didn't know how long ago it went wrong. I looked up any relevant MS articles and found the one to which you referred, ie number 274736 but although this referred to the correct error message: ''The Initialization of the Help Center Failed'', the error number was different, ie 2147024893 instead of 2147143679 which is what lady pink and I both got. Nevertheless I did try the routine given in that article but, unfortunately, it didn't work.

I then searched Google and discovered the message from lady pink and your reply. Although your first link wasn't of any use to me, your second link lead to the MS downloads from which I installed the MDAC 2.8 SP1 components. I wasn't sure what they were supposed to do but, since you had pointed to this download, I thought I would give them a try and it did the trick!

Collapse -
Those that help themselves....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

Also help others.

Thanks for the reply and how you cured it.

Bob

Collapse -
helping a friend with winme
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2006 4:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Yes, worked for my brother too
by CDB68 / July 18, 2006 4:31 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.