HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Microsoft has begun the big Vista ad campaign

by Slikkster / July 17, 2008 7:56 AM PDT

I've seen full-page ads the past two days in the Wall Street Journal targeting business users.

In lieu of pics, here's the verbiage:

"Move to Windows Vista with Confidence

Introducing Windows Vista Small Business Assurance

Risks are a part of every small business. Making the move to Windows Vista isn't one of them. Buy a new PC with genuine Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate and receive free coaching and support from Microsoft to help you get the most out of Windows. Get more done, faster and more securely.

Free hands-on , personalized phone support to help with questions related to your Windows Vista transition.

Windows Vista Small Business Assurance Web site loaded with tips and tricks, guidance, demos, and tools to help you get the most out of Windows Vista.

Online tools and guidance to help ensure Windows Vista compatibility with your existing peripherals and applications.

For more details and real stories, call 866-613-xxxx, visit windows.com/xxxxxxxxx, or text windowsvista to xxxxx.

(Windows Vista Small Business Assurance is available to small business customers purchasing a new PC with Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate from July 1, 2008 to Sept. 30, 2008.)"

That's the ad, minus the particulars like phone number, txt number, full website.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft has begun the big Vista ad campaign
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft has begun the big Vista ad campaign
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where hope goes to die.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 10:43 AM PDT

Ask how to get Microsoft DOS Foxpro to run again...

Collapse -
Do you ever say anything that's not snarky?
by Slikkster / July 17, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

Every time I see a comment about anything MS from you, it's pretty much on the snide side. Is that really in keeping with the sprit of the big red "M" next to your name? I'm all for debate, but all I see from you is drive-by's. Seriously, dude, I'd think you'd be a little more dispassionate given your credentials here. Just my opinion, of course.

Collapse -
I thought I was the only one who noticed
by erier2003 / July 17, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

But I'm suuuuure he's got a reallllllly great explanation. I'm hoping he at least tries to defend it.

Collapse -
Well, duh.
by Frontline99 / July 17, 2008 4:20 PM PDT

It's such a big company. They are obviously evil and incompetent.

Collapse -
When it comes to Microsoft's arrogance
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 9:02 PM PDT

You can't do much better than Vista. Oh, wait you can find it over at Yahoo's board.

I never pass up a chance to talk about the emperor's new clothes. (unless there is a gun to our heads.)
Bob

Collapse -
Vista is a result of arrogance?
by Slikkster / July 18, 2008 12:00 AM PDT

You certainly are jaded. Of course, I would assume that Steve Jobs, et. al., are humble types in your mind, right? You know; the ones who lock down the OS so it can only be used on their hardware, the ones who charge $100+ for every OS ".x" version upgrade, the ones who try to control every last facet of their products because obviously YOU wouldn't be capable of making intelligent decisions regarding choices. Yeah, those guys. Nah, THAT'S not arrogance.

Me? I never pass up an opportunity to point out blatant hypocrisy.

Collapse -
Let's talk about that lockdown.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

This has the be the best reason why we can flip the Apple OSX DVD into the machine and the OS installs.

Try that with Microsoft's OS such as XP and it can't find the hard disk on my new machine.

-> There's a benefit to having control over the hardware. Well there are also some that want MacOSX on non-apple hardware. And those same people would begin to complain as sound cards didn't work etc?

Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by Nicholas Buenk / July 18, 2008 2:47 AM PDT

XP is an OS from 2001, I shouldn't be too surprised that it has issues with the latest hardware.

Sound cards don't work? Just a lack of drivers. It's not like sound card companies are making drivers for hacked OS X and Apple has no reason to write a driver for sound chipsets they don't use. But it's not as if that's a difficult task.

Collapse -
So yeah, that new marketing campaign...
by Frontline99 / July 18, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Seriously, we can debate the PC vs. Mac stuff all day, like we have for the last 20 years, but it's as simple as personal preference. Both are far from perfect. That's to be expected. Whenever you design something as large as an OS there will be problems. You as an individual must decide which problems bug you the least, the Mac ones or the Windows ones.

Collapse -
And there it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

How many people write drivers? Very very few. Users, buyers want a working machine. Look at the mess that is here today. It's not pretty.

Wouldn't you like a machine you don't have to hunt down drivers?

If this isn't worth a dime then don't buy it.
Bob

Collapse -
Macs
by The_Noid / July 18, 2008 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: And there it is.

I don't know - I bought a $3,000+ Mac Performa in the 90's. It was my first major computer purchase and I had been using Macs in college for graphic design. I saved up my money and bought the best Mac I could afford.
I turned it on and experienced my first "sad mac" within days. I used to just unplug the computer - walk away - plug it back in and turn it on. That would work most of the time. Then I got "bombs" and more "sad macs" and freezes, etc.
Nothing I could do really - just turn off the computer, turn it back on and hope it was OK.
I kept that computer for about 1.5 years, then bought a custom made PC for less than half what I paid for the mac - that PC ran windows 98 and I kept it for 4 years. Ran pretty much perfectly the entire time.
So let's just say that sometimes it comes down to personal experience - you could get the best PC of the bunch or the crappiest Mac of the bunch.

Collapse -
And not a typical experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Macs

Sadly you should never go there again. Here and those I know are happy with the flavor of today's koolaid.
Bob

Collapse -
While we're at it...
by Slikkster / July 18, 2008 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: And there it is.

Let's all wear the same clothes, eat the same food, get the same hair cuts, drive the same cars, etc. After all, if the clothes fit, the food is edible, the hair cut isn't too severe, and the car works, who needs that dopey thing called "CHOICE"??? Who needs individualism?

The bottom line is that some people prefer that decisions are made for them (thank you, Steve Jobs), and some people actually like to have a say in the decision-making process.

For the former, you have the "Bobs" of the world. For the latter, you've got people like me. Will my road be a little rocky at times? Sure. But is there a chance I might be happier actually designing a system that works the way I want it to? Absolutely. With risks come the potential for rewards. Case closed.

Damn, I'm good! Oops, there's a little arrogance for ya.

Collapse -
Microsoft has begun the big Vista ad campaign
by wizkids32 / July 18, 2008 7:22 AM PDT

This campaign ad seams boring also. I don't think that it would convince small business at all.

Collapse -
Well, remember...
by Slikkster / July 18, 2008 9:58 PM PDT

It was targeted to the business bigshots who read the Wall Street Journal. Many of those -while proficient at turning a profit- are not known as "exciting" people.

Note: While I read the WSJ, I do so for my job in news gathering. I'm not one of those bigshots mentioned above. Hopefully, not boring, though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.