Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

microsoft counterfeit solution

by ruthe1219 / January 1, 2010 1:53 PM PST

Hello All,
ok Here's the skinny,"friend" built computer according to my specs, tried to update it later, no go. Microsoft says counterfeit software, "you may be a victim" and all that, shows up on desktop. Bought windows xp with coa, doesn't load up right, tries to erase all info and settings, find out it was meant for new blank computers, ok, so I need to back up my files right? Then do the do, no go, computer doesn't recognize file path. Went to you guys for the problem, system shows 1.44,saved, flipped the ribbon, and i'm still recieving same message. I have since received a windows 7 product key, will this help?, and what do I have to do to get it rolling

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: microsoft counterfeit solution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: microsoft counterfeit solution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
software counterfeit problem
by ruthe1219 / January 1, 2010 3:17 PM PST

I made a mistake in the posting should have said "HELLLLP", but i didn't so here's the retry. Could someone plllls get back to me on this issue.

Collapse -
OS install
by Willy / January 2, 2010 5:43 AM PST

If you want to save your data, then use a Linux Live CD version like Ubuntu or Knoppix. That way you can access your data via another OS which you can do.

Now, as your XP version, suggests you have a OEM type made for new installs. If possible, as these do vary, do into it as if new install procedure but do a "repair" mode option. if that option isn't present then for sure the XP OS is OEM type. What you need should get it to remain XP is a retail or upgrade version of the OS. Since, you have win7 now, that too will try to wipe out the previous install as thaqt is the best way to install -OR- do a dual boot setup. But, since you may have other problems alot if left in the air. If this is truly a counterfeit version, then all bets are off since MS isn't going to support thatif that's the case.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
So, Do You Want XP Or Windows &?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2010 1:42 AM PST

The new rules with OEM machines may prevent you from activating the OEM XP disc because Microsoft wants all such installs to be on manufacturer based machines. You may want to contact Microsoft with such a question.

You also mentioned having a W7 product key but you don't mention whether you have the installation disc and full legal version of such disc.. Do you?

Either way, a full format and reinstall is the best bet for cleaning things up.. Be aware... with either operating system, you'll need to download and save to CD a full set of drivers for the hardware on the machine.. If you don't have such, find those drivers BEFORE proceeding on. And yes, you should already have a backup of your important documents and files.. Do you not have such?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
THANKS
by ruthe1219 / January 4, 2010 2:22 AM PST

Thank you so much for the advice, and to answer your questions 1: no I don't have the disk bought it online and it is a retail key, but i'm having major issues with that. I've downloaded the internet download manager, but i cant get it to burn because it's too much info for the disk, what do I do? This is really killing me. Question 2: I didn't have a backup because my computer won't backup my info, it keeps saying that the file path is invalid. I have checked that out as well, And done as instructed as far as flipping the ribbon and checking status(1.44), it still didnt work, so I'm thinking I need to replace the damm thing. I chose to backup my files online instead with Mozy, that's working out well.
I really didn't think it would be this hard to fix a problem that someone else thrust upon me (see first posting )

Collapse -
What We Do Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2010 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: THANKS

If your Windows 7 key is legal and correct, obtaining a Windows 7 installation disc is your best bet, assuming the computer hardware is supported under Win7..

If you have concerns about the key validity, purchase a full, legal Windows 7 installation CD and install from that.

Or, if you want to stick with XP, then perform the same step above with a full, legal Windows XP SP2 installation disc.

As mentioned in my previous post, either one of these installations will require you to find the correct drivers for all the computer hardware and should be done before installing the operating system.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sony vaio pcg-k315s type computer
by automan19 / July 14, 2010 11:19 PM PDT

i have some how got this message keeps coming on my laptop saying you may be a victim of counterfeiting softwear on your computer counld you help me how i can remove it totally of my computer
many thanks pete

Collapse -
Re: coungerfeit software
by Kees Bakker / July 14, 2010 11:31 PM PDT

Without knowing what software it is, the only possible answer is: back to factory conditions via the Sony supplied System Recovery CD/DVD or partition.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.