Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Microsoft Antispyware (build 1.0.614) - Update Issue ...

by Jake Barnes / June 26, 2005 9:31 PM PDT

It seems that after I updated the program to the newer 1.0.614 build, my spyware definitions "don't hold" ... this has happened repeatedly. I click on "Update Definitions" and it indicates that it's updating from 5725 to 5729 ... this has happened over 6 times. I updated again yesterday and ran a scan (was clean), then after I booted up today - I checked for updates and it "updated" again from 5725 to 5729 ...

Before you ask, yes, I'm absolutely sure I had updated to 5729 (several times already) ... here's a screen shot:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y129/JakeBarnes/?action=view&current=Image1.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Antispyware (build 1.0.614) - Update Issue ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Antispyware (build 1.0.614) - Update Issue ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also found
by slybo / June 26, 2005 9:50 PM PDT

Yes I am also having it update to 5729 over again. I have the auto update turned off and when I manually click on update it does it over each time. Have had this happen before and with the next update was fixed. But also I have tried for three days to upgrade and was only getting 1.0.613 version. Today downloaded again and finally got 1.0.614 on one computer but when I did my other computer got 1.0.613, even after downloading a second time today and with uninstalling and reinstalling. So I took the file from the computer with the 1.0.614 and put it on the other computer and installed and got 1.0.614. Sounds like to me a server problem were sometimes you get 1.0.613 and sometimes you get 1.0.614.

Collapse -
Actually it just repeated the same thing ...
by Jake Barnes / June 26, 2005 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Also found
Collapse -
shows 5929
by slybo / June 26, 2005 10:39 PM PDT

I did not notice the time stamp but mine shows I have 5729 but when I click on update the box pops up saying updating from 5725 to 5729. I can close out and reopen the program and check by going to help and then about and it shows 5729 but if I update again it has the box pop up again showing updating from 5725 to 5729. I am sure Bill has the boys and girls working on this.

Collapse -
Perhaps - I just rebooted (again) ...
by Jake Barnes / June 26, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: shows 5929

and it showed 5725 - so I updated again ... Bill might be a smart guy ... but this new build is problematic ...

Collapse -
Try to check the creation date
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 2:51 AM PDT

Hi Jake and Sly,

Please do this:

Locate the 2 files below in MS AS directory:
gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd
gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd

Select them and post here the date it was modified.

If the 5729 definitions were installed properly by MS AS program, the creation date should be June 26, 2005 or June 27, 2005. Mine is June 26, 2005. Date depends on when the user allow the installation of 5729 definitions.

If the creation date is not June 26 or June 27 (or later than June 26), this may mean that the 5729 definitions were not installed properly.

I suggest that you rename the 2 files to:
gcThreatAuditScanData.old
gcThreatAuditThreatData.old

Run the updater again of MS AS.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you donna that worked for me
by Mark5019 / June 27, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Great! Mark..
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 3:09 AM PDT

what was the creation date before you renamed the 2 gcd files?

Collapse -
Not work
by slybo / June 27, 2005 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Great! Mark..

Sorry but renaming the files did not work for me. It updated after I did that but when I tried to open the program back up it just locked up and I had to end task as it would not do anything. I changed the names back and it would then work like it has been. I did notice that it did not recreate those files which I was thinking it would, is this correct? Also the modify dates are June 9, 2005.

Collapse -
June 9, 2005
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Not work

If the modified date shows June 9, that means the 5729 defs is not really installed or not showing properly. I guess their update server is giving to some users the old defs Sad

Collapse -
Yes server
by slybo / June 27, 2005 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: June 9, 2005

I think you are right about the server problem. Like I said in my post in this thread about the version number 1.0.614 that I got on one computer and then doing another computer 5 minutes later and getting 1.0.613 and even trying again. This tell me they are having problems and the best for me is to wait a day or so and try again. Thanks, I will let you know how I turn out in a few days.

Collapse -
Doesn't work for me either :(
by Harv / June 28, 2005 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Not work

Donna, changing the file extension from gcd to old, didn't work for me either. In fact, the version reverted back to an ever older one 56xx. So, I replaced ''old'' with ''gcd'' as it was originally. Why some people are able to update to version 5729 and others cannot is a mystery to me. :|?

Collapse -
6/27/05
by Mark5019 / June 27, 2005 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Great! Mark..

i just named them old and retried

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I've uninstalled the program ... sorry
by Jake Barnes / June 27, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) That's OK Jake :)
by Donna Buenaventura / June 27, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Call the Microsoft Support Team
by hpinvent / June 27, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

Microsoft support department on 800-426-9400 as they would be having specific information regarding this issue. I work for hp so dont ask me how I know.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!