Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Microsoft anti-spyware & Messenger

by Marie Boyer / April 28, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

I have XP Proone Alarm, NAV 2005, and run multiple anti-spyware products, including Microsoft anti-spyware (MSAS).

Despite having disabled "messenger" from startup, the MSAS program appears on my desktop as a pop-up (approximately every 60 seconds) in the bottom right-hand corner of my desktop telling me the following:

"An application change has been allowed. Microsoft anti-spyware has allowed the startup program Messenger by Microsoft Corp. to be installed in your startup registry. Name: Messenger. File path: c:/programfiles/messenger/msmsgs.exe. This program is known to be spyware free."

Someone kindly advised me to try "shoot the messenger." I downloaded that program and ran it. The pop-up is still there every 60 seconds. I have winpatrol, and from what I can tell, the messenger is disabled.

So, I do not understand the continued popup message. I also click on the information tab and MSAS tells me "no information currently available." I want to get rid of the constant pop-up message; more an annoyance issue than one that should concern me? (right?). Can someone help on this one? MUCH APPRECIATED.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft anti-spyware & Messenger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft anti-spyware & Messenger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Marie, do you have
by roddy32 / April 28, 2005 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS Marie
by roddy32 / April 28, 2005 4:10 AM PDT

I can also tell you how you can get rid of the alert by changing a setting on MSAS but I'm not sure why you keep getting it in the first place even if you DO have MSN Messenger.

Collapse -
I made the same point Roddy.
by dawillie / April 28, 2005 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: PS Marie

Marie may not have set her MS Anti SPyware properly....

Collapse -
You will also have to disable in Messenger
by dawillie / April 28, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

Regardless of whether you are referring to MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger, open the Messenger>Tools>Options>General>uncheck 'Automatically run Messenger when i logon to Windows> apply> OK.

Now your messenger will not start when you logon.

in addition go to your browser>tools> internet options> programs> manage add ons.

Click on Messenger> disable >OK and you are done.

FYI I run MSN MESSENGER, YAHOO MESSENGER and ICQ.

I get the pop up ONLY with ICQ.

You may therefore want to look at the advanced options in the MS Anti Spyware Beta because you should not be getting the pop up with Messenger.

Collapse -
Hi guys!
by Marie Boyer / April 28, 2005 4:35 AM PDT

I am pretty sure I do not have MSN Messenger, only Microsoft. I will do everything dawillie recommended. Can you tell me how to set my MSAS properly? Thanks so much for your help. You guys are quite a team.

Collapse -
This is only for the alerts
by roddy32 / April 28, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi guys!

for things that you have allowed Marie. Open up MSAS and click on the top left where it says "options", then click "settings", then on the left had side under where it says "settings", click on "alerts". Then UNcheck the box where it says "show an alert if an ignored threat has been detected and allowed to run". OR you can uncheck the box above it that says "enable allowed alerts" but I prefer to keep that second one checked so I know what is going on.

Collapse -
dawillie & roddy32
by Marie Boyer / April 28, 2005 12:41 PM PDT

It worked! I followed the steps in dawillie's email, and then I made the change in MSAS. And the constant pop-up alert is GONE!!!!

This forum is fantastic. I am addicted! Thank you both SO much.

Collapse -
so change from newbie to intermediate
by dawillie / April 28, 2005 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: dawillie & roddy32

come here and lurk and if smthing sounds familiar jump in and post.

that is what started me.

lets see you do it now.

you go, Marie.

david wiiliams

Collapse -
The thought of posting
by Marie Boyer / April 28, 2005 8:19 PM PDT

an answer rather than a question is scary. I still find everything intimidating. But maybe in a year or so, if I stick with this. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Marie, glad we could help. :D
by roddy32 / April 28, 2005 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: The thought of posting

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!