Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

Microphone jack confusion

by GeekyMan / March 15, 2014 8:25 PM PDT

Hi all
I am going to be buying some things for a home recording studio and I am having some confusion over cables.
My laptop has a Microphone/Speaker combo port, so I am guessing that there is a special cable for microphones. Is this right? My setup will be a Behringer C-1 Condenser -> Male XLR to Female XLR -> Behringer PS400 -> Female XLR to Stereo 1/4 jack -> 1/4 Stereo jack to 3.5mm -> Laptop combo port. Will this work? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance,
Ben Tomsett

GeekyMan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microphone jack confusion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microphone jack confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by GeekyMan

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 3:24 AM PDT

My son has this setup.

1. Behringer XM1800S (XLR mics)
2. Tascam DR-40

Really nice for recording then later off to the PC to dub it into the video.

Sorry but I haven't seen a direct connect to the PC but I bet it can be done.
Bob

Collapse -
Main Question
by GeekyMan / March 19, 2014 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

Ok, so I bought everything, but my main question stands, why does my laptop's combo jack not recognise the cable as a microphone. On my Sound panel, under the playback tab there are Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) and Headphones (HDAD), and under the recording tab there is only a Microphone (HDAD) which is the built in mic. Is this a driver issue or what?

Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2014 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Main Question

Remember that up until a few years ago, microphone jacks were just inputs and at no time was there "detection" that you plugged in any microphone.

-> While you can ask about this, all I have is "my laptop" so at this point you have to ask your laptop's maker how they implemented microphone detection.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by GeekyMan / March 20, 2014 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question.

Thanks guys, I asked Asus, and they said that if your computer does not detect a microphone even after reinstalling the proper drivers, then your laptop does not have microphone support. I'm just going to buy a Usb sound card.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: microphone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2014 9:08 PM PDT

A stereo jack might give a much stronger signal than a microphone. Any old HiFi amplifier had different inputs for microphone, phone and AUX or tuner, which expected different voltages and would blow up if you chose the wrong one.
Since the Behringer is a pre-amplifier, I expect it should go into the AUX port, not the microphone port. I'd start with a male XLR to 3.5mm cable without using the Behringer to amplify the signal.

Kees

Collapse -
Phantom power
by GeekyMan / March 15, 2014 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: microphone

Hi Kees, thanks for your response,
I thought that because the Behringer C-1 was a condenser, it needed a phantom power supply. The Behringer was (I thought) a phantom power supply. Have I been mislead? Or am I very confused indeed?

Collapse -
Re: Behringer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2014 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Phantom power

I went to http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PS400.aspx and there it's categorized as pre-amplifier (see bread crump trail). Which made me think it amplifies the signal.
But now I looked at the picture and I see the output is labeled as 'mic thru' which makes me think it just passes the signal without amplifying it.

Somewhat confusing for me (just as for you). Maybe the manual tells more?

Anyway, sorry for my mis-informed answer. Maybe somebody else knows better.

Kees

Collapse -
Would it work?
by GeekyMan / March 16, 2014 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Behringer

Ok.
If I did go and buy the stuff today, would everything work a-ok? Would my mic/headphone combo port recognise my mic as a mic (it previously has not)? Would I need a special cable?
Thanks again,
Ben Tomsett

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.