TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Microdisplay reliability ratings

by Josh K / November 15, 2005 10:15 PM PST

The December issue of Consumer Reports includes reliability ratings for the various kinds of TVs. All of the microdisplay types scored very poorly compared with CRTs, LCDs and Plasmas. I was hoping to get some real-world feedback from microdisplay owners. Have you had repair issues? How would you stack them up (against plasmas in particular)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microdisplay reliability ratings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microdisplay reliability ratings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reliability
by soehartoe / November 15, 2005 11:41 PM PST

Microdisplays uses a lamp that burn-out every 2-10,000hrs....which is about 2-3yrs, if u use ur tv 5-6hrs a day...

Plasmas will burn out its lamp in about 30-50,000hrs...

LCDs about 60,000hrs+

that's prolly why Microdisplays aren't that reliable..since they dont last as long as LCDs and Plasmas...

CRTs ussually last about 10 years, before any picture degradations...

Collapse -
I don't think they were referring to bulb replacement
by Josh K / November 16, 2005 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: reliability

That would fall under normal wear and tear, as opposed to something breaking.

Collapse -
The December issue of Consumer Reports
by jcrobso / November 17, 2005 5:33 AM PST

Yep, thats about it.
Since the lowly CRT is oldest TV form it has realy been refined and made to be very trouble free.
One of the post in this fourm was from a member with a 1989 CRT RP tv that still looks good.

There were some posts about 6 months ago about members having to replace the color wheel in thier DLP sets.
A couple about bad circuit boards.

LCD can have pixels go bad, if they would go black it be better, but they tend to go bright blue, sticks out like a sore thumb.
Plasma DOES NOT HAVE A LAMP, the plasma generates the light. The current half life is 60,000 hours.

How long the back lamps in direct view LCDs will last is some what of a mistery, Many compinies don't list this spec. what I have heard is the 4000 hours to 40,000 hours,,,Hmmm thats quite a big range.

This I do know the lamp in DLP and LCD RP TV is very easy to replace, 5 min if the set is cool.

The Back lamps in the Direct view LCD?????? this apperars to be an unkown. John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by Josh K / November 17, 2005 5:54 AM PST

I'm looking into SXRD technology at the moment. Looks great from what I've read so far (I haven't gone to look at one yet). I'm especially interested in the Sony KDS-R60XBR1.

FWIW I have a 20'' NEC television from 1985 that's still going strong. It's been rained on and had things dropped on it, and appears to be unkillable. Great picture too, better than many much newer sets. It's too bad NEC got out of the TV business.

Collapse -
It's too bad NEC got out of the TV business.
by jcrobso / November 18, 2005 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks John

I still have a 1982 25" NEC monitor, no tuner but great, great picture. It has out lasted my 32" Toshiba which is 14 years old. John

Collapse -
What repair?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2005 12:06 AM PST

I've yet to find LCD and such units to be repairable. The flood of consumer products with no repair systems or out of warranty repair exceeds 1/2 the purchase price is making me wonder too.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?