Laptops forum

General discussion

Mic won't work!

by dk128 / January 27, 2009 12:17 PM PST

I have a new Toshiba satellite M305-S4848 laptop (Vista 64-bit) with a built-in webcam and mic. My mic worked perfectly about two weeks ago and then recently started to have a lot of static. To fix the problem, I went to the driver download site and downloaded the new Conexant Audio Driver for Windows Vista. Following the instructions, I uninstalled the previous Conexant from my Programs and installed the new one. However, the new installation failed and now my mic won't work at all! How do I fix this problem??? Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mic won't work!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mic won't work!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Internal or external?
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2009 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: Mic won't work!

Since you mentioned static, if it's external, I'd suspect a back jack. If internal, it might be that mic has just died. Again, if internal and you have an external mic jack, try using that.

Collapse -
Internal or external mic?
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2009 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: Mic won't work!

Since you mentioned static, I suspect hardware and not software or drivers. If it's an external mic, the jack or the mic might have gone bad. If it's internal, I'd consider the mic or some electrical connection issue. Again, if it's an internal mic and you have a jack to plug in an external, try that.

Collapse -
Internal mic!
by dk128 / January 30, 2009 4:56 AM PST

Well, I managed to reinstall the original driver for the mic, so it's working now. The static still persists.
It's an internal mic and I'm just confused because it worked perfectly fine a week or so ago and suddenly I'm experiencing these problems. The mic is located at the top of my lid, so maybe I've accidentally shut it too hard a couple of times? Could that be it? Or when I've used the mic, I only used it with an Ethernet cable, not wireless-- would having wireless internet cause the static, too?

Collapse -
Did you try an external mic as I suggested?
by Steven Haninger / January 30, 2009 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Internal mic!

That's how you'd rule out a single piece of hardware. Sorry, but the term "static" is too generic. A lot of noises are called static. It could make a difference if we knew the noise was only heard over other sounds or during quite periods as well. Try an external mic though. If it works, the transducer in your laptop is probably bad. If you still get unwanted static noise, it could be in the sound chip.

Collapse -
It's a wireless internet connection problem.
by dk128 / August 29, 2009 2:59 AM PDT

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all of your help, but I have figured out what is causing the extra noise. When I went to have it checked out at a store, they said everything was working perfectly. Later, I determined that it is indeed the wireless internet connection that poses mic problems. When I use an ethernet cable, there is no static; when I use wireless, there is a lot o static. I'm not quite sure why this is...just out of curiosity, do any of you?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!