Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Mic compatible with a Canon GL1

Hi. I'm having trouble finding out if a Shure Beta Mic (either 87A or 87C) is compatible with my Canon GL1 camcorder. Could you please help? I need to buy an external mic for clearer audio during interviews. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mic compatible with a Canon GL1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mic compatible with a Canon GL1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both those mics are

In reply to: Mic compatible with a Canon GL1

essentially the same. They both have XLR connectors. (I use Shure SM58 handhelds - wired and wireless - all the time.)

The Canon GL1 (and GL2) have a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo audio-in jack.
GL1 manual:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900007548/ins_gl1.pdf
See pages 9 and 80 for the location of the external mic jack.
See page 99 (on the upper right - "Input level").

Their suggestions to use headphones to monitor the captured audio (page 27) and use the mic attenuator to control the audio gain levels (page 80) are good ones.

While it is possible to obtain/use a 1/8" - XLR "cable tail", that is not a good idea. The correct way is to get an XLR adapter (like the juiceLink CX231 or BeachTek DXA-6). The mic plugs into the XLR mic cable, the other end of the XLR mic cable plugs into the XLR adapter, the XLR adapter 1/8" cable plugs in to the camcorder's 1/8" audio in jack.

If you use only 1 mic, then consider using the "Mono" setting on the Mono/Stereo switch of the XLR adapter. This will have the camcorder record the audio to both the left and right channels. If you use only 1 mic and select the Stereo item on that XLR adapter switch, the audio will be recorded to only the channel to which the mic is connected.

Collapse -
Thanks! I find this info really useful :)

In reply to: Both those mics are

I find this info really useful Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.