Computer Help forum

General discussion

MI424WR broadband problems

by kiande / August 30, 2008 1:31 PM PDT

I've been using the MI424WR router that was supplied with my Verizon Fios package for the last year and a half without any issues. Now for some reason any direct broadband connection just doesn't work. I changed the cables, checked my network adapters, reset the default settings...nothing works. The wireless still works though and I have access to the settings that way. I've been trying to contact Verizon for a few days, but their customer service isn't helpful... at all. At this point I'm thinking that the router might be dead, or at least part of it is. Running Vista (32 bit) I'm getting the same network name, just not receiving any packets. Of the three computer connected via the router, (two XP and one Vista) not a single one still has a working broadband connection. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MI424WR broadband problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MI424WR broadband problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens if you turn off, wait, then turn on the router?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 7:55 PM PDT

Not my expertise, and perhaps you have already tried this, but if not, close down all the computers, and turn off the router and unplug it from the electrical socket. Wait about 30 seconds, then turn the router back on, then one of the computers.

You may have to visit the router's set up page again to reset the settings.

If that doesn't work, can you plug the cable connection in directly to one of the computers? That would let you know that the broadband is still available and working.

Mark

Collapse -
continued...
by kiande / August 31, 2008 2:12 AM PDT

I'd already tried that, with no result. I also resetted the default settings. Same nothing. The bizarre thing is the ping. When I ping my router in the cmd "ping 192.168.1.1", it first tell me Destination host unreachable, but then the ping statistics are
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>.
So logically I should have an internet connection, but I don't...

Collapse -
firmware
by jzou / August 31, 2008 9:12 AM PDT

Can Verizon confirm that there is nothing wrong on their end? if yes, then it u the router's problem.
Routers have firmware that some times needs to be updated. Your ISP can't help you with this unless they made the router. visit the manufacturers website to find the firmware update. Download the newest and install it. you might find that your firmware version is the newest, reinstall it anyway. I had the same problem with my linksys router.

Collapse -
Well...
by kiande / August 31, 2008 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: firmware

Since I still have access wirelessly I know the connection is still there so the problem is not there. I "upgraded" the firmware to the same version and now my computer is not even recognized... it just kind of disappeared (previously the computer appeared in the router settings). The lights on the router are still flashing but that's about it. Guess I need a new one...

Collapse -
Then if ping is working and
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

the router lights are still flashing, is this a firewall issue?

Has anyone introduced a firewall to these computers, or changed any firewall settings?

Mark

Collapse -
firewall
by kiande / August 31, 2008 11:50 PM PDT

The ping is odd, like I said earlier (probably not working). I also tried removing all the firewalls (not that any new one was added), with again no result.

Collapse -
We have a discussion here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2008 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Where a member tried for a month to get some wifi phones to work with this model. They succeeded when they got a new name brand modem.

In your case I wonder if you setup the router proper. I can't tell from the story so far.
Bob

Collapse -
This isn't a new router
by kiande / August 31, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

I have been using this specific router for the past year and a half. I doubt it's a setup problem, since I didn't modify the setup much until it stopped working.

Collapse -
Then its dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

At least you are trying the old reset and setting up again. After that you get another one.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?