Computer Help forum

General discussion

MFC42u.dll problems

Hi everyone.

Recently I installed a bad driver. Stupid move on my part. Got rid of it, but it still left a mark. Whenever I tried to open Device Manager, it would give me an error saying that MFC42u.dll could not be found. I did a few System Restores, no luck. Then I looked for and found another copy of this file in my system folders. I copied it to where it needed to go (Windows\System32) and now it gives me another error message.

"The application as unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

At this point I have no idea of what to do other than nuke and reinstall Windows. I see this possibly becoming a larger problem in the future. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MFC42u.dll problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MFC42u.dll problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to mention, it isn't a virus.

In reply to: MFC42u.dll problems

Scanned with Comodo Internet Security.

Collapse -
Tried Registering the dll?

In reply to: MFC42u.dll problems

Simply placing the file in it's location doesn't let Windows recognize it.. Try this:

Open the "Run" utility from the Search line, then type:

regsvr32 mfc42u.dll

Then click on OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Another error

In reply to: Tried Registering the dll?

First of all, thanks for the help.

It's giving me another error message...

"The module "mfc42u.dll may not be compatible with the version of Windows that you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe."

I pulled this copy from C:\Windows\SysWOW64. I doubt that this is a 32-bit version of the file, but I could be wrong.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Looks Wrong...

In reply to: Another error

The names for the EXEs are still the same. So regsvr32.exe is the right exe. There is only a difference in the directory:

x64-EXEs are stored in: \Windows\system32
x86-EXEs are stored in: \Windows\syswow64

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif

In reply to: Looks Wrong...

Thanks for the help Grif.

Now I know that that DLL I had was the wrong one. Today I kept looking for a solution, and found that I should try sfc. I did, but it gave me an error that it found corrupt files and to check the log. It said that the source file in the store (backup) is corrupted.

Here's one of the messages:

"Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing"

One thing I noticed is that it says my processor architecture is AMD64, but it is actually Intel's EM64T. (My processor model is Intel Pentium E5200.) Of course, it could just be Windows code...(I don't really have a clue).

Is there any way to restore this file off of the Windows DVD? Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
A Basic Repair Install Of Windows 7 Is Here

In reply to: Thanks Grif

Collapse -
According to the site, I won't be able to...

In reply to: A Basic Repair Install Of Windows 7 Is Here

...use the repair installer because my DVD is of an older version of Windows 7 (no updates). Is this true? I don't want to mess up my system to the point where I have to nuke & reinstall.

Thanks for the help Grif.

Collapse -
Also, is there a way to see a list of services...

In reply to: According to the site, I won't be able to...

...without services.msc? It doesn't work without the missing DLL.

Thanks again.

(Sorry for the double post)

Collapse -
Try "msconfig" From A "Run" Line

In reply to: Also, is there a way to see a list of services...

The Services list should be available by typing "Run" in the "Search" line and when the Run line utility loads, type: msconfig, then click on OK. There should be a "Services" tab.

As to an "older" version of Windows 7, what "older" version are you referring to? Since there have been no service packs released yet, as long as you have the correct Windows 7 DVD version regarding Professsional, Home Premium, etc., it should work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Got all the info I need

In reply to: Try "msconfig" From A "Run" Line

The "older" version I am referring to is the Windows 7 DVD without all the latest updates. If the DVD will work without updates, then I guess I'm good to go.

Msconfig didn't work (same error), but I figured out another way to see the services that matter - Sysinternals Autoruns.

Thanks for all the help Grif - you're a lifesaver.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.