Question

Message on LG TV (65UH6030)

Hello. I recently bought an LG television in October (65UH6030), and about a week ago a message started popping up in the top right corner. It says "unknown device is disconnected". Sometimes it will pop up once every 10 or so minutes, sometimes it will pop up 3 times within a minute. It's constant. I have no idea what it's from, and it's getting quite annoying. I tried messing with the HDMI cables in case one was loose, and I turned off the WiFi in case it was a wireless device that was trying to connect. No luck on either. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Message on LG TV (65UH6030)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Message on LG TV (65UH6030)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
A few ideas.

Keep in mind these are generic in nature and may or not apply.

1. Look for any HDMI CEC or "control over HDMI" setting and turn it off.
2. Be sure the TV firmware is up to date.
3. On item 1, see if those HDMI devices have any CEC and turn it off at the other end.

- Collapse -
Step 1

Step 1 seems to have worked. Fingers x. Cheers.

- Collapse -
Answer
Where you able to get this fixed?

I know this question is like 7 months old but I'm having the exact same problem so I Googled it and found this post right away.
My TV is about a year old but it just started doing this like 5 days ago. It's driving me nuts so I just unplugged everything that was connected to the TV except the cable box because I need that to use the TV and I'm still getting the same message. Since I unplugged everything and made sure TV is up to date the answer you received won't help me. I'm hoping maybe you found another fix.
I have extended warranty at Best Buy and I'm thinking on calling them and trying to use that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Collapse -
Fixed for a while

Yes and no. It stopped for months (8 to be exact) but now it's back again. Popping up about every 30 seconds. Still can't figure it out.

- Collapse -
Same Problem Here

TV here is an LG 55UJ6540. 13 months old.
Had same issues for a long time.
Very intermittent and sometimes there quiet often.

Try checking to see if you can search for active WIFI connections
in Settings. If it just "searches" with no WIFI names coming up, then you have a defective
WIFI/Bluetooth board. This probably is the issue. Also, if you see the name of your WIFI, try to connect. Do this even if you use a wired Ethernet connection.

LG knows all about this major problem and is doing absolutely nothing to remedy this defect.

- Collapse -
This might be it

You might be right! I just had someone from LG out last week to replace something he said was the problem, and he replaced some sort of part. Upon setting up the TV again, we noticed it is unable to even locate any WiFi networks. I said it wasn't a big deal since I use an ethernet cable, and he went on his way. The very next day the TV started doing it again, so whatever he did certainly didn't work.

- Collapse -
Exact same issue.

I haven’t even had my tv for a year yet and it’s doing the exact same thing. I called LG and I basically had to do a whole run-a-round to get it “fixed” someone finally came to fix it. It lasted for only a whole 2 days then the notification kept popping up on my screen again. I called the company who worked on my tv and told them about it, they said they would try to fix it again. I called another 2 weeks later and they said that LG no longer kept the switchboard needed to repair the tv and that they would contact me once it became available again. I’m calling LG today to tell them to either fix my tv, reimburseme me or I’m going to take legal action. There’s no reason why my tv should be acting the way it is and they’re not doing anything about it.

- Collapse -
Lawsuit Time

It's time to take LG to court for never fully repairing my $1700 smart tv. Nothing works anymore. They send someone to fix something, then a few months later it's broken again. I wonder how do I take LG to court???%%$#!

- Collapse -
This varies with the state. Here, that's small claims court
- Collapse -
Same here

Lg sucks!

- Collapse -
Fixed LG Unknown Device message

I Switched to in store demo mode and shut off all the store demos in its sub menu .works like normal for HDMI inputs off air tuner , I haven't seen message since The smart TV Wireless WIFI menu i didnt mess with since thats when it began as The WIFI started to not work all the time and then message appeared The Wi FI on LG TV has Issues dont use it . Its been 60 days since i did it and no unknown device is disconnected" message i use my Laptop as my media center and off air tuner for local channels all is good now

- Collapse -
unknown device is disconnected" Fixed

I Switched to in store demo mode and shut off all the store demos in its sub menu .works like normal for HDMI inputs off air tuner , I haven't seen message since The smart TV Wireless WIFI menu i didnt mess with since thats when it began as The WIFI started to not work all the time and then message appeared The Wi FI on LG TV has Issues dont use it . Its been 60 days since i did it and no unknown device is disconnected" message i use my Laptop as my media center and off air tuner for local channels all is good now

- Collapse -
Answer
Lgtv

Unknown devices disconnected

- Collapse -
Answer
FIXED (ETHERNET CABLE ONLY)

Had this problem for months on my lg 55sj810v bought in ApriI 2018. I fixed this issues disabling Wi-Fi.
Be aware that if you are connected via ethernet cable this don't necessarily mean Wi-Fi is not active.So after enabling ethernet connection go to wifi connection and deactivate it and ABOVE ALL go to WIFI DIRECT option and click on deactivate, this should totally deactivate wi-fi. I believe that the reason of these annoying messages is just this WIFI DIRECT option that, I guess, constantly check for nearby wifi capable hardware, in fact in my TV's DIRECT WIFI device list i found usb keys of my neighbours, maybe when they unplugged hese usb keys the unfamous message was visualized in my tv....
Anyway it's been a pair of week since i did so and never had that message on my TV again.
Obviuosly if you need WiFi this cant'be of any help, having my router near tv I just used ethernet cable to connect, maybe it's possible to deactivate WIFI DIRECT even if using wifi connection, I didn't tried...
I really hope this could be of any help for someone.
Ciao.

Post was last edited on November 22, 2018 6:14 AM PST

- Collapse -
N O P E

This previous post also did not help. Mines the 55 OLED, same message. They're is not deactivate option under the wifi or wifi direct menus. That also would make no sense, because everytime I receive the message, my remote control stops functioning. I can't change channels, volume, the mouse/pointer, directional arrows, they all stop working. I have to press the Netflix button, then go back to my HDMI input for the cable box to get it working again. Albeit, only for a moment before it disconnects again. Anyone else notice the remote functionality stopping at the unknown device disconnects?

- Collapse -
Remote not working

Hello I have the messages too. I have just disconnected wi fi to see if this helps. My magic remote had stopped working intermittently whilst having this problem. Hopefully the disabling of wi fi and wi fi direct helps. We shall see.

- Collapse -
Not giving up

I'd love to turn off the wifi, but there's no option to do so. I checked network connections, wifi direct, but no option. I'm connected with LAN. The remote starts working again after a period of time sitting idle.

- Collapse -
a clue

Mine has the same problem and additionally sometimes the TV reboots itself suddenly.
I am not sure if I have managed to solve this problem, but at least I think I have a clue.
I have tried a lot of settings with no luck but I am pretty sure it is related to the Wi-Fi connection since I can observe Wi-Fi connection connected-disconnected... on the setting page, during that, it gives me "unknown device disconnected" message and eventually the setting page says "Wi-Fi is turned off" whereas there is no way to turn it on except waiting.

The interesting thing is, even the TV is not connected to ANY Wi-Fi AP, the problems occurs anyway. I tried that by factory resetting the TV and choosing to skip the internet setting part.
Which means the problem should have occurred before establishing connection, maybe the "list up SSIDs" part I guess.
So, I tried the following steps and I haven't seen that message for 2 days:
1) I have a TP-Link Wi-Fi extender and I turned it off.
(The extender uses the same channel as the main router, maybe the TV cannot handle that well?)
2) installed an app called WiFi analyzer on my android tablet and find less congested channels for 2.4G and 5G networks, then changed to those channels on my router setting page.

Maybe I am just getting a temporary luck or some beautiful coincidence, but if you happen to be using a Wi-Fi extender and this solved your problem too, I'd be more confident.

Please let me know your testing result if possible.
Thanks,

- Collapse -
Fixed LG Unknown Device message

I Switched to in store demo mode and shut off all the store demos in its sub menu .works like normal for HDMI inputs off air tuner , I haven't seen message since The smart TV Wireless WIFI menu i didnt mess with since thats when it began as The WIFI started to not work all the time and then message appeared The Wi FI on LG TV has Issues dont use it . Its been 60 days since i did it and no unknown device is disconnected" message i use my Laptop as my media center and off air tuner for local channels all is good now just get a casting dongle for HDMI input for wireless Dont use LG WIFI or smart TV

- Collapse -
Same happend to me

Do you fix your tv I have the same problem my remote control stop working and the tv is running very slow

- Collapse -
Same here

Same **** happens to me. I think I’m going to replace the remote.

- Collapse -
Answer
Same issue: UJ6300 model (8 months old)

I just started having this issue 3 days ago. I love using the screen share option with my laptop to stream movies / shows and other stuff. Without the WIFI capability, it seems screen share will not work either. Also getting the pesky "unknown device unplugged" message from time to time. I tried factory reset the TV but no luck. I always install the latest updates for the TV.

- Collapse -

I Switched to in store demo mode and shut off all the store demos in its sub menu .works like normal for HDMI inputs off air tuner , I haven't seen message since The smart TV Wireless WIFI menu i didnt mess with since thats when it began as The WIFI started to not work all the time and then message appeared The Wi FI on LG TV has Issues dont use it . Its been 60 days since i did it and no unknown device is disconnected" message i use my Laptop as my media center and off air tuner for local channels all is good now just get a casting dongle for HDMI input for wireless Dont use LG WIFI or smart TV

- Collapse -
Answer

- Collapse -
Answer
Me too

I'm getting this same message. It's random but often and very annoying! I have had this tv for about a year now.

- Collapse -
Answer
Same issue

Hi, neighbors and friends.

I have a 65sj810v 11 months old and it began a week or so to display the annoying message. As everyone else said, when the message is displayed, the magic remote stops working properly (Back button doesn't work and the pointer won't appear).

If I unpair the remote (pressing back and home for several seconds until the red light in the switching button flashes for three times), then, when I try to pair the remote again, a new message is displayed "The bluetooth system must initialize", or something like that (it's in Spanish, I'm sorry). After a random period, I can pair the remote and works fine for some time.

In my opinion, it can be because a faulty board in the TV or because of a software upgrade (I got one recently).

I'll try to downgrade to see if the issue gets fixed.

- Collapse -
same problem here

Ive been having this issue for the past 2 weeks, It´s annoying as heel, tried everything that´s been displayed in several topics regarding this issue. If you, sir, finds an answer, please post it here.

- Collapse -
Answer
HDMI CEC

I did this:

“1. Look for any HDMI CEC or "control over HDMI" setting and turn it off.”

Seems to have worked. We hooked up a Bose sound bar and the issue, we think, started at the same time. So far fingers x.

- Collapse -
Answer
problem with "unknown divice is disconnected"

Recently I had the same problem with the frequent notifications about devices, loss of performance of the remote and intermittent loss of IPTV and tried many possible solutions however in the end the solution seem to be not what you may expect. I recently upgraded my Ubuntu operating system to 18.04 which had all the drivers installed for wifi etc and my connection was fine for a short while. slowly my Ubuntu connection via wifi became less and less stable so i had it changed to a LAN connection and the WIFI turned off. Since I have done this both my computer and my TV have performed with out fault. So in my case there is some sort of interference between the tv's wifi and the computer's wifi or so it would seem.

- Collapse -
Answer
OLED65B7

I had the same problem over the past year every now and then. Lately it became significantly worse. Sometimes the message popped up every second. Had my remote replaced and even tried only using the smartphone app to control the tv. Yesterday I had the mainboard and the wifi-bluetooth-module replaced. For now everything works fine again. I let you guys know if the problem comes back. My theory is that the wifi-bt-module was broken,as the remote uses Bluetooth for some buttons and the wifi could not be activated from time to time.

CNET Forums