Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Message marking bugs

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 13, 2006 8:13 AM PST

Hi folks,

I've been hearing complaints here and there that the Message marking since the redesign has being kinda of buggy. Can you guys give me some details as to what is not working for you guys. The more detail the better so I can give the engineers the big pictures as to what is wrong.

Thanks in advance!
-Lee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Message marking bugs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Message marking bugs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couyple of solid problems, may be more.
by Owyn / December 13, 2006 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Message marking bugs

First problem is perhaps a feature, but, it is really annoying. After you have posted a reply to a message, the topic is flagged as red (unread message) even when the message you have just posted is the only unread message.

Second problem is that after marking a forum as read, it takes a while before topics are marked as unread again, even when there are obviously new messages based on the last message time stamp / order in the topic index.

There may be other related problems, but, I just stopped watching for them.

Collapse -
What I've noticed...
by John.Wilkinson / December 13, 2006 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Message marking bugs

1.) Right now there are about a dozen threads where no matter how many times I view every reply it displays the red dot indicating that there are updates. Viewing the thread and then returning to the forum page may resolve it for 20 minutes, but it lights back up again soon after. Interesting to note that in almost every single one of those threads I was the last one to post!

2.) There were two threads concerning the James Kim tragedy that never turned yellow or red. For the first post through the last the dot remained grey so it took me 3 days before I realized I have never opened the thread.

3.) There have been a couple of threads, including the incredibly long 'What do you like/dislike about IE7' thread in the Browsers forum where a similar thing happened. The list of threads lit up with a red dot indicating new posts, but upon looking through the thread not a single post was marked yellow. I ended up finding the new replies by searching for the text "new!" on the page.

4.) This one's not actually a bug, but rather a design 'flaw.' After submitting a post the 'message read flag' should automatically be set to true. As it stands we have to return to the discussion and view our own post, something a lot of us don't like to do since we already previewed it...it just takes more time and bandwidth. Any chance that can be modified?

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.