HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Message body not displayed in OE6 e-mail

by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2014 3:33 AM PST

Don't waste your finger energy telling me XP is coming to an end or there are better e-mail programs than OE -- unless you really can't control yourself '-)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Pro, SP3, 32 bit Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
Processor, x86 Family 16
Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4 RAM: 1791 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 700 Mb Motherboard: ASUSTeK, M4A785-M

Residential Antivirus: AVG Free w/o Mail scanning installed.
Windows Firewall resident on boot

Using and have always used Internet Explorer and Outlook Express

I've used this system as is for ages but recently when downloading OE mail from my POP mail account at Mindspring ISP I noticed that the body of text is not rendered when I double-click a message subject. Likewise when opening older messages that displayed correctly before.

If I click "New Message" I can type in the body. If I click "Reply", "Forward" or "Reply All" there is no prior message text rendered except the "From", "To", "Sent" and "Subject" information is there and I can type.

Yes, the option in OE is set to "Include message in reply".

International Send Setting is set to "Western Europe (ISO)"

No error message has ever been displayed.
Current OE View is checked to "Show all messages".
No Message Rules were ever used -- everything blank. Mail box contents are kept to a minimum -- maybe 10-20 messages.
I reboot the system if OE doesn't show mail content but without success.
Deleted the "Folders.dbx" indexer and then opened OE for recreation - didn't help.
I used the Msoe50.inf file to reinstallation OE to no avail. I created a new identity in OE, imported mail, still no body display.
I ran SFC /scannow at the command line with no mishap. Both updated Malwarebyte and Superantispyware report no infections.
Nothing in "Event Viewer" of any consequence.

In OE if I click "File", "Properties", the "Detail" tab and then "Message Source" on any mail message I can see the full content of what was written.

No recent downloads or installs except perhaps of Acrobat Reader and I think VLC Player updates.

Searching the Web I've run into this type report going back for years but I have seen no tips for cure of this anomaly.

Thank you,

Bill Gaston

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Message body not displayed in OE6 e-mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Message body not displayed in OE6 e-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: OE
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 3:49 AM PST

The first thing we advice in case of such mysterious behaviours (I can assure you that OE still worked OR with me in XP a week ago) is to try a new Windows user account.

- If it works OK there, it's 'something' in the old account. A possible 'something' is the OE database or folder. So the next step is to copy the archive folder (all .dbx-files) from the old account to new account.
- If it doesn't work OK there either, it's something on Windows level. Then I'd try System Restore.

Please let us know.

Kees

Collapse -
Message body not displayed in OE6 e-mail "FIXED"
by Cursorcowboy / February 28, 2014 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: OE

After a lot of tries and doing lots of searching I took a look at the OE .DBX folders and opened the "Security" tab. looked at "Permissions for Users" and no user(s) had valid "permissions". Changed the Inbox folder to "allow" all options for me as the user and the mail bodies in OE are now showing correctly for mail in all folders -- and just by changing the Inbox permissions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.