The first thing we advice in case of such mysterious behaviours (I can assure you that OE still worked OR with me in XP a week ago) is to try a new Windows user account.
- If it works OK there, it's 'something' in the old account. A possible 'something' is the OE database or folder. So the next step is to copy the archive folder (all .dbx-files) from the old account to new account.
- If it doesn't work OK there either, it's something on Windows level. Then I'd try System Restore.
Please let us know.
Don't waste your finger energy telling me XP is coming to an end or there are better e-mail programs than OE -- unless you really can't control yourself '-)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Pro, SP3, 32 bit Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
Processor, x86 Family 16
Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4 RAM: 1791 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 700 Mb Motherboard: ASUSTeK, M4A785-M
Residential Antivirus: AVG Free w/o Mail scanning installed.
Windows Firewall resident on boot
Using and have always used Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
I've used this system as is for ages but recently when downloading OE mail from my POP mail account at Mindspring ISP I noticed that the body of text is not rendered when I double-click a message subject. Likewise when opening older messages that displayed correctly before.
If I click "New Message" I can type in the body. If I click "Reply", "Forward" or "Reply All" there is no prior message text rendered except the "From", "To", "Sent" and "Subject" information is there and I can type.
Yes, the option in OE is set to "Include message in reply".
International Send Setting is set to "Western Europe (ISO)"
No error message has ever been displayed.
Current OE View is checked to "Show all messages".
No Message Rules were ever used -- everything blank. Mail box contents are kept to a minimum -- maybe 10-20 messages.
I reboot the system if OE doesn't show mail content but without success.
Deleted the "Folders.dbx" indexer and then opened OE for recreation - didn't help.
I used the Msoe50.inf file to reinstallation OE to no avail. I created a new identity in OE, imported mail, still no body display.
I ran SFC /scannow at the command line with no mishap. Both updated Malwarebyte and Superantispyware report no infections.
Nothing in "Event Viewer" of any consequence.
In OE if I click "File", "Properties", the "Detail" tab and then "Message Source" on any mail message I can see the full content of what was written.
No recent downloads or installs except perhaps of Acrobat Reader and I think VLC Player updates.
Searching the Web I've run into this type report going back for years but I have seen no tips for cure of this anomaly.