I am running WIN98 (second edition) on a Pentium II
I have 4 partions on my drive C,D,E,F

I need to get more space on my C drive, so I need to merge two, C & D or C & E
Can it be done and how can I do it.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
CHUCK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MERGING PARTITIONS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MERGING PARTITIONS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Merging partitons
by El Alquimista / July 22, 2005 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: MERGING PARTITIONS

Yes Chuck, Partition Magic or other similar partition managers should let you do what you want, but with certain restrictions. You can merge physically-adjacent partitions, but not non-adjacent partitions. All the data in the merging partition will appear in a folder within the final merged partition (this is necessary to prevent conflicts if there are duplicate file names in the two partitions).

You could possibly simulate merging non-adjacent partitions by judiciously deleting, moving, and resizing. However, the existing partition sizes must be such that the move could be accomplished. Also, some data would be lost so you must first save the data, and then restore it later. Actually, this latter is not such a big deal because anytime you start messing with partitions, you should first backup your entire drive anyway.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
possibly simulate merging non-adjacent partitions
by jonah jones / July 22, 2005 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Merging partitons

if i remember correctly, partition magic has a "redistribute free space" option?

theoretically you could "steal" a few Mega from all three partitions and add to C;

jonah

Collapse -
El Alq is RIGHT....off load and-or backup...
by reefurbb / July 23, 2005 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: MERGING PARTITIONS

you haven't stated the size of the Hdd and and size and percent used of 4 partitions.
The usual advice would be to get a new HDD since older 60gb or 80gb are cheap enough. WDE or Maxtor comes with a utility for installing and copying a partition.
There are other options but free resizers lose all data on extra partitions to merge.
How did you get 4 partitions in the 1st place?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.