Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

menus and dialog box language change help

by nuggyrush / April 17, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

After my administrator account had corrupted (but I created a new one), my windows changed its menu, dialog boxes and other program languages (such as "Start" and "My Computer" tabs are also displayed in Thai). I tried the regional settings but it didn't work. Does any one ancountered the same problem? How can I fix this? What do I need to download? I nedd to change it back to English.
Thank you in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: menus and dialog box language change help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: menus and dialog box language change help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:menus and dialog box language change help
by Cetin Denislam / April 17, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

Try the MUISETUP.EXE procedure described in the following "Service Pack Release Notes for Windows Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Version" page.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:menus and dialog box language change help
by nuggyrush / April 18, 2004 7:12 AM PDT

I am running XP Home and I don't know what to do in the page you gave me. Please help.
Thank you

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:menus and dialog box language change help
by Cetin Denislam / April 19, 2004 5:03 AM PDT

Well, in this case it sounds like some core dll files are hosed, including shell32.dll. You can try running a sfc /scannow command. For details, read

Q310747 - "Description of the Windows System File Checker Tool"

If, by chance, you had Office XP or 2003 installed (they have the MUI installation option), maybe it's a side effect of it and some English related update patch.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:menus and dialog box language change help
by nuggyrush / April 19, 2004 10:19 AM PDT

I run sfc.exe but it came up and disappeared, what does it mean

Collapse -
Why SFC doesn't work ?
by Cetin Denislam / April 20, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

Failure of running sfc. Possible causes:

1. You're launching sfc using a non-administrator account. For windows XP Home users there is an additional workaround. Boot in Safe Mode and use the built-in Administrator account. Try to run sfc again.

2. Sfc was disabled in the registry (several approaches are possible)

- or -

was disabled by using a crafted patch for a precise file (both causes are neither simple nor impossible to be done).

3. Your PC is infected with a virus and / or spyware. You should scan your PC with latest definitions. Also, check the event viewer for some clues.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Why SFC doesn't work ?
by nuggyrush / April 21, 2004 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Why SFC doesn't work ?

I don't know if I can boot XP Home in safe mode and how will I know of it is disabled in the registry?

Collapse -
by nuggyrush / April 19, 2004 3:02 AM PDT

Please respond and please help
I appreciate it
Thank you

Collapse -
How to boot in Safe Mode and other suggestions ?
by Cetin Denislam / April 22, 2004 1:21 AM PDT

>> I don't know if I can boot XP Home in safe mode <<

The generic procedure is quite simple. Start (restart) PC. After the POST screen and before the windows splash screen repeatedly press the F8 key.

Note If you have multiboot option, you should select the windows XP first, press Enter and after that press F8.

On the windows options menu, press the down arrow keys and select Safe Mode. Now you should see (you have windows XP Home Edition) at least two accounts. Click the one named Administrator. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER (try first a blank password). After the password acknowledgement, click Yes to confirm that windows is running in Safe mode.

>> how will I know of it is disabled in the registry? <<

You will never know if you don?t' have the rights to view/modify the registry, so you should learn how-to solve the above problem first.

Finally, I'd have some suggestions.

1. After someone has give you some advisese, try as many as possible tests and give as many as results. For example, you didn't tell which your actual account's right is.

Suppose that your normal account has administartor rights. In this case, try again to goto command prompt (via Start, Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type the following command:

sfc /scannow

Note Don't forget to type the /scannow parameter.

If it doesn't work once again you should check for viruses / spyware using the latest definitions.

2. In addition, give more info:

2.1 Do you have the windows XP CD ? If so, what is printed on the hologram ? (you should look for a text as: oem, retail, recovery disc, etc.)

2.2 Was / Is Office installed and what is its version ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:How to boot in Safe Mode and other suggestions ?
by nuggyrush / April 24, 2004 7:37 AM PDT

the sfc finally works but I don't have the XP CD and it keeps asking me or one. What should I do?

Collapse -
I don't have an installation CD - what if I need one?
by Cetin Denislam / April 25, 2004 2:26 AM PDT

We don't know how your actual windows XP installation was done.

However, if you're in one of the situations described in the following I don't have an installation CD - what if I need one? article, as it's mentioned There are circumstances where you may have a legal installation of Windows XP without an installation CD.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Themisive / April 22, 2004 10:21 PM PDT

Unfortunately, if you have a virus or a worm on your machine, the only certain way would be to completely erase the drive(s), and start from scratch, I just hop that you've got your data backed up, otherwise you'll lose it, If you have Win XP Home Edition full version, there's no problem, with an oem version (preloaded) there is. Wipe the disk, then use a startup disk and format the disk several times, THEN begin reloading everything. It should be ok now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?