HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Menu, type size?

by El Bairdo / March 31, 2010 3:56 AM PDT

How do you adjust the size of the text in the menu bar at the top of the screen, Finder, File, Edit etc. and in the dropdown menus?
They're ok on my Mini, with the Snow Leopard system, but far too small and hardly readable on my wife's OS 10.4 Mini. I can't find anything in System Preference that handles this. Or is related to the size of the screen you have?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Menu, type size?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Menu, type size?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Impossible
by macnerd10 / March 31, 2010 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Menu, type size?

The only thing you can do is to change resolution of the screen. TinkerTool claims that it can change system font size and the new settings stick but the Apple menu does not respond. All other fonts can be changed under Finder view options.

Collapse -
Yes, it is
by Mr. Gregg / March 31, 2010 11:50 PM PDT

related to the screen size, that is.

Collapse -
Try These Methods
by Creative Media / April 2, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

While I don't know of a way to change the type size in the Menu Bar, you can do these three things.

(1) Go to FINDER>VIEW>SHOW VIEW OPTIONS. You should see a drop down option to change the type size (from 10 to 16 point). NOTE: If you do this after clicking on the desktop, only the desktop type size will change. But, if you highlight your home folder (in the sidebar) first, then go to Finder>View>Show View Options, the change you make in the drop down option will change the type size for all of your fiinder views (except the Menu Bar).

(2) Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES>UNIVERSAL ACCESS>SEEING. There you can turn on the Mac's ZOOM feature. Click on OPTIONS (I have mine set to Maximum Magnification 2x?Minimum Zoom 0. I also check marked "When zoomed in screen moves-Only when the pointer reaches an edge.") Click Done.
Then when you hold down both the OPTION & APPLE keys and press the plus or minus sign on your keyboard, you can zoom in and move your mouse pointer to any part of your screen (including the Menu Bar) and move in and out in it at will.

(3) If your mouse has a Scroll Wheel, you can also go to the SYSTEM PREFERENCES>KEYBOARD & MOUSE>MOUSE and check mark "Zoom using scroll wheel while holding..." At the same time, you can set the Option to "Zoom the screen only when the pointer moves" as well.

I hope this helps.
?JustAnotherOldMacGeezer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.