Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem

I built another computer for my grandson using parts from my old machine, which included an Asus A7V motherboard, AMD 1GHZ processor, and 2 sticks of Crucial PC133 ram 256MB each. After doing a clean install of Windows98 and all the updates, once in a while the desktop would come up saying "Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you." After looking through Google search, it said one of the reasons could be the ram. I downloaded Memtest and proceeded to come up with about 12 errors on only step#6. I then took 1 stick of ram out and ran the test on all slots, no errors. I then took that stick of ram out and put in the other, and ran the same test again, no errors. Individually, I get no errors, but when I put both sticks in, no matter which slots, I come up with errors on test#6.
Any suggestions?

Thank You Bob H.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

In reply to: Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem

In short, without teaching Computer Science or Eletronics Engineering, the more chips there are on a CPU BUS, the slower it can become.

1. You may find that setting the FSB from 133 to 100 MHz will allow the memory to be used, but at the expense of speed.

2. Try the BIOS SAFE default settings for the memory page. Remember there are 43 BIOS screens for that Athlon variety with 97 optional settings. I can only guess what your BIOS screen looks like, but a little slower or another wait-state or CAS-3 instead of CAS-2 may be all it needs.

3. Cooling. Try it with the cover off and a fan pointing at the innards to see if heat affects it.

Since this is Windows 98, try just 256 MegaBytes(MB) and see if it works fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

In reply to: Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

It works fine using just the 256MBs.I had it running for years at 512MB. The case is the same so heat isn't the problem. I have always had the cas set at 3 and the CPU at 100MHZ and the DRAM frequency at 133MHZ. What I'm trying to say is the only difference being in the hard drive and a CD rom. I even took out the sound card and modem. All this machine has on it are kid games.

Collapse -
Years pass, capacitors and parts age.

In reply to: Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

You've found the issue and can try slowing the memory speed a little.

Computers age faster than dogs. You've found the issue and have to decide to work around it, replace parts or other...

As to heat, don't dismiss that. The parts can become heat sensitive.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Years pass, capacitors and parts age.

In reply to: Years pass, capacitors and parts age.

Thank You for your replies. It still bothers me that this transfer was less than a week apart. Maybe moving does make a difference.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

In reply to: Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

What I'm trying to say is the only difference being in the hard drive and a CD rom.
------------------------------------

Just a test.

Since memtest comes in from a floopy what happens if you unplug the HD and CD.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

Grandson playing on the machine now, will try later this evening.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

I placed a fan onto the open case, and no more memory errors. Probably what I need is a new case with better circulation. I'm glad that I went to a P4 this time, less heat problems. I will never build another AMD computer, they just run too hot.

Thanks again for your responses. Bob H.

Collapse -
GREAT! You've found the problem! FABULOUS! You've found a solution!

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem = GREAT! You've found the problem!

Keep in mind it may not be the Athlon CPU itself. The heat does accelerate part aging and I keep coming back to capacitor issues.

In fact, last week a dozen motherboards were changed out over an issue that I'll give a link to. The only good news is the replacement boards were cheaper than when they were first acquired. The symptoms were much like what was noted in this thread with gradual problems, then adding a case fan and then nothing seemed to help save lower clock speed and in the end, a new motherboard.

Here's the link -> http://www.burtonsys.com/bad_BP6/

Bob

Collapse -
Memtest-86 V3.8 Problem

In reply to: GREAT! You've found the problem! FABULOUS! You've found a solution!

I know reopening of old issues is probably not the best idea if you want to get friends. But I had to find a solution for subject problem these days and none of above approaches was helpful for me. May be others encounter the same problem again and may find my investigations helpful.

For me replacement of the computer's grafic card finally solved the problem. Impossible!? You may want to give me a chance to convince you by looking at
http://www.rothenhoefer-net.de/Probleme.html#Hauptspeichererweiterung

Sorry it is in German, but some readers may know enough of German and others may find some translation utility. Besides there is a possibility for additional questions both in this forum and in above homepage.

regards

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.