HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

memory upgrade gone awry

by barbieqgard / March 23, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

please help! i recently added ram to my laptop and after installing the two new "1gig 200pin ddr2 sodimm 128mx64 pc2-4200" into their respective slots, i could no longer get the screen to turn on. i hear the machine sound of turning on but my screen stays completely dark. is there something i could have done very wrong? i am definitely a newbie but i did use a wrist strap for precaution. i don't think i put in the wrong kind of ram because crucial did it's own detection for the right replacements before i ordered them. also, when i tried to put the old ram back in, the screen still stays dark(off); so i'm worried.
any advise would be truly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory upgrade gone awry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory upgrade gone awry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think it is the RAM
by Grimbles / March 23, 2008 10:19 AM PDT

Hi Barbieqgard - It would be unusual for installation of the wrong type of RAM to cause the syptoms you describe.....usually, if the RAM strip is not compatible or is installed incorrectly your tower will beep out an error code.
It is more likely that you have somehow disturbed the cable connection from your monitor to your tower......Please check all cabling from monitor to tower and ensure they are firmly in place, at both ends.

cheers........JIMBO

Collapse -
(NT) Also make sure you have the RAM firmly "locked" in place.
by glenn30 / March 23, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
where will i find the cable connection?
by barbieqgard / March 23, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

i don't know where the cable connection is from the screen to the laptop keyboard. could i find some web pictures perhaps of the insides of a generic laptop, since sony (my unit) is absolutely difficult to navigate for support or information.
really appreciate all the help i can get. somehow, i thought i would save money by doing this myself...now, it sure looks like i'm beginning to be the picture of the "penny wise, pound foolish" newbie.

Collapse -
What laptop ??? Mfg., series and model number of laptop
by VAPCMD / March 23, 2008 1:54 PM PDT

and RAM too.

Was it unplugged (and or the battery removed) when you changed the RAM ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
sony laptop
by barbieqgard / March 24, 2008 2:35 AM PDT

it's a sony vaio model pcg-7d2l. yes, i unplugged it, took out the battery making sure it was off (not hibernate) and wore an anti-static strap. the rams are 1 gig 200 pin ddr2 sodimm 128mx64 pc2-4200 from crucial. i am optimistic these are the correct ones for my machine as i had crucial.com analyze my unit themselves before i ordered.
one thing i probably should mention...this is my very first time to try and open a laptop (only desktops prior to now), and i did try to take out all the screws early on. when i couldn't find a place to separate top from bottom facings of the keyboard side, i stopped immediately. also, i sprayed "dust-off" to the back covers of the two little parts that did come off,the one for the ram and the other that is to the left side as you look at it from the top of the laptop. it is about 6" by 4" in size. don't know if the cold spray hurt the covers but it's worth mentioning. i did not touch anything else, though.
thanks so much for whatever help i could get.

Collapse -
Oooops!
by Grimbles / March 24, 2008 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: sony laptop

Sorry BBG, I missed the laptop reference...my bad. Now that you have both the old and new RAM strips you should be able to check their respective specs and make sure they are identical.....everything you need to know should be written on the label on the strip...make sure that the speeds are the same. Almost all RAM is available in two speeds, older RAM would be either 400 or 533mhz and newer RAM would be either 667 or 800mhz.....Even though the cards are the the same the speed may be different and would cause an incompatibilty; e.g. if your original RAM was 667mhz and your new RAM is 800mhz and your motherboard was not geared to handle the faster speed.

Collapse -
speed question
by barbieqgard / March 24, 2008 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Oooops!

i looked oveer the two new rams i got from crucial and if i am reading it right,they do have a 533 number in there along with 1gb ddr2 stuff. now, the one that came with the laptop says..."512MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200S-444-12" and then the next line says "HYMP564S64P6-C4 AA 0535N". i don't see 400 or 533 0r 667 or 800.
you suppose crucial analyzed wrong? (they did this online).
thanks again so much.

Collapse -
Probably alright
by Grimbles / March 24, 2008 5:48 PM PDT
In reply to: speed question

Hi BBG - It would appear that PC2-4200 Ram is 533mhz speed.......so no joy there....sorry, can't think what else it may be.

good luck....JIMBO

Collapse -
my thanks
by barbieqgard / March 25, 2008 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably alright

i guess it's time to take the darned unit out to the shop for a fix. anyway, i am thankful for all the help i got; at least i gave it a good shot and if nothing else, i learned not to mess with something way beyond my scope. tried saving a few bucks and now.....
thanks a bunch everyone.

Collapse -
Ouch ouch ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 9:42 AM PDT

If I recall that model Sony had issues with the memory connectors. The solder work is the new ROHS compliant stuff and the connections crack under any stress.

If you can find about a 40 to 60X power microscope you can inspect the solder work and then you'll know.
Bob

Collapse -
:-(
by barbieqgard / March 24, 2008 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch ouch ouch.

unfortunately, even if i did have a microscope, i don't really know what i should be looking at. it looks too tiny an area there where the rams go in. but it definitely is something to look into. thanks so much.

Collapse -
Pictures of such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: :-(
Collapse -
Sorry to hear....keep us posted.
by VAPCMD / March 25, 2008 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: :-(

Think I found your laptop but there was another model number associated with it. When I tried to find the model number on Crucial, I don't recall finding it. .... do you see this number "VGN-FS730" on your PC ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.