Computer Help forum

Question

memory upgrade

by bob29th / July 22, 2011 9:40 AM PDT

I have an emachines et1331g running w7x64 i purchased 2 new sticks or ram when I install it pc will not boot I switched it around no help. if I take 2 sticks out it will work with either set just not with all 4 in it is pc6400 ddr2 2gig sticks I went to the kingston website and crossed the pn from the orig.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are all 4 of the RAM sticks Kingston?
by Edward ODaniel / July 22, 2011 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: memory upgrade
Collapse -
memory
by bob29th / July 22, 2011 11:10 AM PDT

no i bought 2x2 kingston and had 2x2 samsung installed and it does work with either set in it just not both

Collapse -
Ram
by Bob__B / July 22, 2011 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: memory

That machine uses dual channel.
That means each matched set/pair of ram must go in the proper slots......review the manual.
If you mix the sets/pairs/slots odd things might happen.

Work with the bios.
Get it to show all that ram proper.
With a little luck it might also show single or dual channel mode.

Collapse -
memory upgrade
by bob29th / July 24, 2011 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Ram

ok here goes i can use either set or one of each as long as only 2 slots are full it only shows 2 gigs of memory I went to the crucial site and the download show only one module installed at 2048 gigs of memory motherboard specs say it will support up to 8 gigs

Collapse -
Well
by Bob__B / July 24, 2011 9:34 AM PDT

I gave my opinion of ........work with the bios.......to try and get this sorted.
If you can't get the bios to see the ram proper......your dead.

You seem to want to work with windows.......good luck.

Collapse -
memory
by bob29th / July 24, 2011 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

after more testing memory I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad mem slot if I move either of the sets to the other 2 slots it reads I can put 1 in the second of the 2 slots and it shows 6g if I fill all 4 slots it will not boot or if I fill the first of the other 2 same thing out of warranty so I guess I will just have to live with it next time I will build my own again seem to have better luck that way thanks for all the help everyone

Collapse -
That might be it or it might still be ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 24, 2011 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: memory

as Bob suggested and I hinted at.

You have 4 slots, two of one color and two of another color (blue and black are common). Instead of putting both of the original DIMMS in side by side slots of the same color try putting one in slot 1 and the other in slot 3 with new Kingston is slots 2 and 4

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Then you'll need to contact Acer
by Jimmy Greystone / July 22, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

Then you'll need to contact Acer to first find out if your particular model system will support the total amount of RAM you want to install, and if so, to work with them to find out if this is some sort of warranty claim issue.

It's also possible the RAM you purchased is DOA, so try testing the new sticks individually to see if you can isolate a bad one. It is possible for both to be bad, but that would be an extremely rare occurrence, and would more than likely mean that you introduced ESD damage to them.

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 10:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
by bob29th / July 24, 2011 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

mine is an 05w which came with 4g upgradable to 8

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: 05

See what crucial.com notes for this model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.