by burg1n / November 23, 2010 1:32 PM PST

I just built a new pc
Intel i3 dual
MSI Geforce gts 450
4gb (2gb x2) Super talent memory
500gb Seagate barracuda hdd
Gigabyte p55-usb3 mobo
750w PSU

I was having TONS of problems installing windows xp, vista, 7, AND ubuntu. None of them would install and every one said it had a problem copying files basically. I knew my cd's weren't bad so I figured it was my new 24x liteon sata dvd-rw but I replaced it with an old sony drive with no luck. Someone told me to try it with only 1 stick of memory so I did...and it worked. I tried reinstalling the 2nd stick after I got windows 7 installed and after the OS loaded I was getting tons of errors and if I clicked on pretty much anything it would freeze up and give me tons of errors unless I took that 2nd stick out.

As stated previously, the memory is ddr3 Super Talent ram, 2 sticks of 2gb on my gigabyte p55-usb3 mobo. I ran window's memory diagnostics tool and it said my memory has no problems.
Does this mean it is the mobo? What should I do to figure out where the problem is coming from and what piece of hardware I need to return?

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tried 1 stick with the other one
by burg1n / November 23, 2010 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Memory problem?

I just tried putting that stick in the first slot instead of the one that was in there and it is still all messed up so it has to be that stick right?

Collapse -
Sounds like you might be right
by Steven Haninger / November 23, 2010 10:58 PM PST

If your problem follows that stick of RAM, you've likely found your culprit. That doesn't always mean, however, that the stick won't test as OK with some utilities. You might want to run one called memtest86 which you can download and create a bootable floppy or CD. It's also possible that the RAM you chose isn't perfectly compatible or that the timings aren't set properly. All of this presumes you're running in dual channel mode, the sticks are identical and you have them in the correct slots for that use.

Collapse -
Sounds like it could be the RAM. Best way to tell is
by VAPCMD / November 24, 2010 12:03 AM PST

test each DIMM separately. If the DIMM tests GOOD, try it in the other slots to see if it works there too. If they both test OK separately as suggested above, then test the DIMMs together in the slots recommended by the mfg for DUAL CHANNEL (128-bit) operation.

I also recommend trying another RAM test program if the RAM tests OK but doesn't work properly installing or running the installed OS. Make sure the RAM is setup properly in the BIOS too.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?