System info:-

Power Predator tower system
AMD Athlon64 3800+ dual core socket 939
Maxtor 200GB Serial ATA 2 (11GB cache)
1GB RAM PC3200 DDR400 184 pin (2X512)
Windows XP SP2 Home Edit. OEM PC

The problem:-

Actually there are two problems.

1/ When I try to save a web page , I frequently get the message "there is insufficient memory to save this web page"

2/ If I am saving more than say 3, or 4 seperate items from a web page (in 3, or 4 seperate operations) to the same folder, the saving progress bar stops about halfway through and the computer "hangs". Pressing Ctrl Alt Del brings up Windows Task Manager which shows computer usage 50/75%, I then have to close down all the items running in Task Manager to continue, the screen then returns to desktop and everything is lost.

Is this because I simply don't have enough RAM with 1GB, or is there something else causing the problem? I would be grateful for any advice you could offer.

Winehound

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Memory problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Memory problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1 gig is generally enough

In reply to: Memory problem

What you need to look into is what's already occupying it and your virtual memory. It's possible you have many startup items that you don't need. As well, most folks have Windows services that can be disabled or set to manual that free up some memory. I can't give details on what you need and what you don't. Go to Start/Programs/Startup and see what runs from there. Also go to Start/Run and type "msconfig" and see how many boxes are checked in the startup tab. It will take some research to see which ones you need but you can use trial and error to uncheck these to see what can be eliminated. Another good practice is to clean out your browser cache. I set mine to empty cache upon program exit. FF does this well and IE does it in a so-so manner.

Collapse -
It's Common With Some Webpages in Internet Explorer

In reply to: Memory problem

When you attempt to save complex webpages in Internet Explorer, (for example, CNET forums will cause this issue) the "there is insufficient memory to save this web page" error is common primarily because you are attempting to save the "Webpage complete/html" or "Web Arhive/.mht" format of the page.. In order to do so, the computer must find EVERYTHING the webpage is connected to and save it.. All that information frequently can be EXTREMELY large and makes it near impossible to do in Internet Explorer.. On the other hand, the "Webpage Complete" seems to work much better in the Firefox browser, and that includes complex pages such as CNET.. Give it a try, if you haven't already.

On the other hand, if you're set on using Internet Explorer, simple webpages like the Google home page have no problem saving in the above formats primarily because it has no sublinks, no large pictures on the pages, etc.

So, in IE, if you're only saving the website so you can "view" the page again, try saving the page as "Webpage/html ONLY".. You should be able to get it done that way.. If you need to save the entire page for offline viewing, then you may want to do it in Firefox..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.