PC Hardware forum

General discussion

memory no running at full capacity

by nk17007 / October 31, 2004 8:16 AM PST

hi,
my computer had 512mb(2x256mb) dual channel DDR400(PC3200). I decided to upgrade it to 1.5Gb. I added 2x 512mb dimms(1024mb) of the same memory. I also consulted the dell owner's manual. For some reason the old memory alone works at 400Mhz and the new memory alone works at 400Mhz but as soon as I put them together the memory only works at 333Mhz. How do I get it to work at 400mhz? I tried having dims 1 and 2 with the 512 mb dimms and dimms 3 and 4 with the two 256mb dimms an currently have dimms 1 and 2 with the 256 and dimms 3 and 4 with the 512's.
thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: memory no running at full capacity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: memory no running at full capacity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the mobos that I have seen
by Ray Harinec / October 31, 2004 9:39 AM PST

for Dual Channel the"matched" memories go into slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4. On most mobos the slots have different colors. Put two sticks in one color and you are in single channel mode. Put one stick in one color and the other stick in the corresponding other color and you are dual channel.

Again the two dual channel sticks must be of the same "size" and type.

Seems that you are actually running single channel because the pairs are not matched. Why they only run at 333 may be a problem with the quality of one of the sets of sticks.

Collapse -
Re: In the mobos that I have seen
by nk17007 / October 31, 2004 11:30 PM PST

thanks for the help but the sticks are correctly placed( to avoid confusion Dell numbered the dimms 1,3,2,4) i have to matched pairs of high quality memory in dims 1,2 and 3,4. when i just use any of 2 matched sticks at a time in dimms 1,2 the memory works at 400Mhz.

Collapse -
Wow, I would get to Dell immediately
by Ray Harinec / November 1, 2004 3:26 AM PST

It seems as if the artwork on their mobo for the second memory channel can't support 400 MHz memory.

Keep in mind that the speed limitation over the years is the ability to make printed circuit artwork on the mobos effectively convey fast rise times over a few inches of artwork.

Collapse -
DDR 400 on the new sticks?
by billzhills / November 1, 2004 9:38 AM PST

Does the BIOS post screen show dual channel memory?
or words to that effect...

Check the BIOS set up that all 4 slots are enabled
to accept dual channel

Forget the numbers on the board. Ray has the correct answer. From left to right new, old, new, old.

Just some other things to look at...

Bill

Collapse -
Re: DDR 400 on the new sticks?
by nk17007 / November 1, 2004 8:42 PM PST

thanks, when i go in the setup, it says the meory is running at dual channel and 333Mhz. my memory is setup new old new old. i just dont understand why if the new is in alone it works at 400 same as the old alone. anymore suggestions?

Collapse -
Re: DDR 400 on the new sticks?
by billzhills / November 1, 2004 11:57 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!